Many Warhammer 40,000 fans had lost their hope for a MMORPG based on the franchise after THQ basically killed Dark Millenium Online and subsequently killed itself. Looks like hope is still alive (contrary to the IP’s philosophy), as Behavior Interactive just sent a press release to announce Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade.
The game, created in partnership with Games Workshop, is defined as “3rd person persistent online action in the first MMORPG of the 41st millenium”, and is slated for release by the end of 2015 for PC, PS3 and Xbox One.
Here are the official bullet points:
- Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers;
- Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players;
- Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.
- Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.
- Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium;
- Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;
- Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe.
- Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit – then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory!
Behaviour Interactive Head of Online Studio Miguel Caron accompanied the press release with a statement:
I am thrilled to announce what will finally be the first MMORPG based on the Warhammer 40,000 license. Eternal Crusade’s team are all MMO development veterans and with the support of Behaviour’s 20+ years of experience this is going to be the online Warhammer 40,000 universe game that fans have been dreaming of for years!
President and Executive Producer Rémi Racine added:
Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is the second milestone in Behaviours new online strategic positioning after last year’s Star Citizen Announcement. We are very happy with the progress of the online studio and you should expect more similar announcements to come.
Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing Jon Gillard concluded with a statement on behalf of the British tabletop gaming giant:
The depth, breadth and sheer level of detail that the Warhammer 40,000 universe has after 26 years of continuous development makes it one of the great fantasy settings of our times. Experiencing the thrill of first hand combat in this world of eternal conflict, with thousands of other players beside you, will be fantastic.
The official website has also been opened today. Until we receive further details and see some gameplay there’s only one thing I can say about this: “Praise the Emperor!”