There seems to be no end to Star Citizen‘s crowd funding cavalcade, as the game by Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts and his Cloud Imperium Games has just pushed past the astonishing total of $14,000,000 in crowd funding.
To be more precise at the moment of this writing the upcoming space combat simulator is sitting comfortably on $14,001,974 pledged by 210,893 perspective star pilots.
That’s definitely a jaw-dropping budget for a game that started with a much smaller goal. It’s hard to deny that I can’t wait to see what Chris Roberts and his team will be able to create with it.
One thing is for sure: 2014 is going to be an interesting year, and a few publisher executives that shunned Roberts and the genre must be eating serious crow right now.
This new milestone unlocks three features as officially announced a couple days ago:
- Hibernation Mode: for the explorers out there, we will add the ability to save and resume while you are out in space. When not in combat, power your ship down, hit the bunk, and exit the game safely until you can resume your journey.
- Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.
- A fourth landout option on Earth! Where will it be? London? Berlin?
Now it’s time to push the total past fifteen million stretch goal, and the bounty for that achievement will indeed be an interesting one:
- Additional flyable ship class: escort carrier
- The Upgrade Handbook: an extra 42-page manual that walks players through the process of customizing and overclocking their ship systems! (PDF free to all backers before $15 million)
Flying an escort carrier? What’s not to love? If you want to help reaching that goal you still pledge your support on the official website.