Like any other industry, there have been some intense corporate rivalries over the years, especially considering video game consoles over the years: who can forget Nintendo’s SNES and Sega’s Genesis, with Mario and Sonic competing for pop culture dominance? Or Crash Bandicoot arguing for Sony’s PlayStation over Nintendo’s N64?
But I daresay no rivalry has ever been as fierce as the one that started in 2001 when Microsoft introduced the first Xbox. While Nintendo has generally played its own marketing game with outside-the-box philosophies and accessories, the Xbox’s arrival to gaming sparked an ongoing feud with Sony’s PlayStation brand, a feud that has lasted for a dozen years, and now lives on in the soon-to-arrive next generation.
With the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One rapidly approaching–with the PS4 arriving to the U.S. on November 15th and the Xbox One arriving on November 22nd–we here at DualShockers find ourselves pouring over dozens and dozens of details, news and rumors about the systems. Some details have only recently been revealed, some have been changed since the consoles were revealed, and some details and rumors have yet to be confirmed. At the end of it all, we wondered what every other gamer has been debating for the last two years: which console will satisfy our next-gen needs?
Over the following weeks, we’re going to be laying it all out on the table: all the details we know and all of the answers you need, so that gamers can choose for themselves which console will be best for them this holiday season (or help gamers decide whether they want both!). Each week, gamers can check back here for the next installment of the Buyers Guide, which will consist of:
- What’s In The Box?: A look at the what comes with the consoles when you purchase them, including details on accessories and availability. (9/25)
- It’s All About the Service – Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus: A look at what services each platform will provide for premium customers. (10/02)
- Next-Gen Launch Titles: A catalog of the games that will be available for either system from launch until the end of the Holiday season. (10/09)
- Early 2014 Next-Gen Titles: A catalog of the games that will be available for either system during the first half of 2014. (10/16)
- Community and Support: An overview of how Sony and Microsoft have supported their communities through previous issues, and what the community thinks of either next-gen system. (10/23)
- What Are We Getting? DualShockers’ Staff share their opinions on the consoles they’re looking most forward to. (10/30)
With a constant influx of changing news and fierce competition, and lots of emotion (and money) running high, we here at DualShockers see it as our duty to keep you informed: so stay tuned to DualShockers for all your PlayStation 4 and Xbox One news.