A few days ago a career opportunity ad by Microsoft Game Studios ousted a new title in development at Lionhead Studios, and today a new ad, seeking a Technical Director, gave us more hints on what we can expect.
Below you can see an excerpt from the post, with the relevant areas bolded.
Lionhead creates original, landmark games and is one of the world’s most respected studios.
Lionhead seeks a highly experienced Technical Director/Manager to lead the engineering team on its cutting edge new title.
Reporting to the Studio Engineering Director, you will be responsible for managing the technical team while also partnering with the Game Director as the technical stakeholder in design – working closely with both teams to define the feature set for this AAA First Party production.
Key Skills and Experiences:
– Prior experience leading a technical team from concept to ship on multiple AAA projects as a Technical Director/ Lead Programmer or Technical Manager.
– Demonstrable experience of working closely with other game teams (particularly design) to balance design/art requirements with technical scope and schedule.
– A thorough understanding of programming specialties including but not limited to: tools and pipelines, server infrastructure, 3D graphics, game logic, AI, networking; with significant expertise in more than one discipline.
– Experience of recruiting and managing a high performing team of at least 30 engineers.
– Experience working on MMORPGs, Multiplayer games or Action/Adventure titles on Xbox 360, PS3, or PC.
– Experience evaluating, implementing and enhancing middleware solutions.
– Excellent communication skills, to both senior management and team, with proven experience assessing and communicating project risk to stakeholders.
– A passion for game development and cutting edge gameplay.
Looks like the plans are for an AAA title, and the size of the team also confirms that: an engineering team of over 30 people is definitely very sizable, and indicates a project with a large scope.
The experience requirements seem to confirm that the new game may be an action-based MMORPG, which would be very fitting for the Fable franchise. I may be wrong, but I feel we may hear about a new Fable MMORPG soon enough, quite possibly as Microsoft’s response to the current and near-future dominance of the genre by the PS4 (at least for what next generation consoles are concerned).
Of course no official announcement has been made for now, so this has to be taken with the due grain of salt.