It seems that BioWare Austin is finally moving forward, even if the studio is still hard at work on Star Wars: The Old Republic. We already knew that the folks in Austin have “several unannounced projects” in the works, and today we learn something more about one of them, that seems to be an action RPG from how a new career opportunity ad seeking a Senior Combat Designer describes it.
Here’s an excerpt with the relevant parts bolded:
We are seeking a qualified Lead Combat Designer to join one of our game teams on an unannounced project. You will partner with programmers, artists and other designers, driving idea conception, guiding design iteration and helping to manage play testing. Areas of responsibility will include, combat control, AI design, class design and boss creature design. This position requires a strong leader as well as designer, liaising between multiple departments and disciplines on combat design and related communications. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a seasoned team of game industry veterans and keep the design true to the pillars of the game.
- Deliver a combat system that feels visceral, fast, and fun.
- Own the design and implementation of the combat design tools.
- Proven ability to perform hands-on tuning of all combat-related systems
- In-depth knowledge of all systems and features of RPG titles
- Proven ability to think holistically and understand how adjusting game balance will adjust far-reaching parts of game design
- Proven ability to see large, far-reaching project to completion
This definitely seems to point towards an action or action-oriented RPG, which isn’t too surprising considering BioWare’s pedigree. Could it be Jade Empire 2? Of course this is just my own wishful thinking, but the ad doesn’t mention a new IP.
As usual with this kind of things, we’ll have to wait for further hints or for an official announcement in order to know more.