News, Platforms, PS4
Unannounced PS4 Game in The Works at Guerrilla Cambridge: Featuring Complex Environments, Varied Architecture
Looks like Sony Computer Entertainment Europe promoted Killzone: Mercenaries developer Guerrilla Cambridge to the big leagues, as the studio has been explicitly revealed today to be at work on an unannounced PS4 game, as revealed by a new career opportunity ad seeking a Senior Environment Artist.
Below you can read the ad with the relevant parts bolded:
Guerrilla Games’ Cambridge Studio is looking for a talented Senior Environment Artist to join their world-class art team working on PS4. We’re looking for someone to work as a key member of a small motivated team of artists to construct game environments based on approved concept art. Come and work with a great pool of talent in an equally great city.
Your portfolio should:
- Demonstrate both hard and soft surface 3D modelling techniques.
- Demonstrate PS3/PS4 quality texturing (diffuse, normal and specular maps).
- Demonstrate the ability to UV complex objects efficiently.
- Demonstrate your ability to create multiple complex environments, interior and exterior.
- Demonstrate the ability to recreate multiple architectural styles.
- Show at least one environment demonstrating strong creative vision, an eye for detail, composition and visual story telling.
- Demonstrate at least one environment created within strict performance budgets.
It would also be beneficial if your portfolio:
- Contains 2D environment concept paints or sketches.
We’re interested in hearing from you if:
- You are able to work within a predefined art style as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- You are able to deliver work to a very high level of quality within fixed time constraints.
- You show enthusiasm, drive and the ability to learn new processes.
- You are able to balance technical, gameplay and artistic constraints, and are able to work collaboratively on reaching a solution between disciplines.
- You are able work with a high level of autonomy but are also comfortable working with feedback and take direction effectively.
- You can apply lateral thinking to find innovative creative solutions.
- You are able to present, discuss and critique your own work as well as that of others within the team, providing sensitive, yet effective feedback and direction.
- You can draw inspiration from a variety of sources outside of games.
- You have development experience on multiple shipped games.
- You have development experience on recent AAA console games.
- You have a thorough working knowledge of modern shader models.
- You have a broad knowledge of current and past video game environments.
- You have an interest in videogames.
- You can demonstrate high proficiency in the use of Photoshop.
It would be beneficial but not required if:
- You are an experienced Maya user.
- You show high proficiency in the use of zBrush or Mudbox.
- You have scripting experience in Mel or Python.
This is the first time we get explicit confirmation that Guerrilla Cambridge is working on a PS4 game, and we also get a few elements on what its environmental design will entail, featuring complex environments and multiple architectural styles.
The game will also probably be an AAA one, since that kind of experience is considered beneficial, and the the use of Maya, zBrush and Mudbox possibly indicates a title with a high level of graphical glitz, as those tools are normally preferred for complex 3D models.
Unfortunately, nothing else is known about the new game, but we might hear about it at E3 in less than a month.