Today, publisher THQ Nordic and New York City-based developer Digital Continue announced that 2008 Nintendo DS real-time strategy game Lock’s Quest is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC, sometime this April.
As you may know, Lock’s Quest was originally released by developer 5th Cell and publisher THQ on the Nintendo DS all the way back in September 2008. The title is the newest entry in THQ Nordic’s MAP (meaningful asset-program), which is the company’s internal plan on which IPs it should focus on for the future.
As mentioned above the game’s remaster of types is being handled by Digital Continue, which is headed by Joe Tringali, one of the of co-founders of 5th Cell, and the creator of Lock’s Quest.
According to the press release, the team at Digital Continue “had to walk a fine line between keeping the visuals and core gameplay of the Nintendo DS, whilst revamping UI, adapting controls, remastering the music, and adding a new progression system which is integrated into the storyline.”
Here’s an overview, courtesy of THQ Nordic:
In this remastered version of the critically acclaimed 2008 Nintendo DS-Game, you play as Lock, a boy who stumbles upon an invasion of his Village, which triggers a wider war between Kingdom Force and a revived Clockwork Army, led by the nefarious Lord Agony. A gripping story unfolds as you progress through 75 Days of warfare, across a dozen unique maps, aided by a collection of turrets, traps and special attacks. Experience the game as it was meant to be, with a high-quality soundtrack, new high resolution portraits, and revised gameplay.
- Place Kingdom Force units to defend your capitol in a brand new Endless Mode – Antonia Defense!
- Build up your fortifications each day to defend against a timed Clockwork assault. Use dozens of Turrets, Traps and Helpers to stop the advance.
- Adapt your building and battling strategies as you access new materials and as your enemy’s intelligence evolves
- Fight alongside your defenses, using context sensitive Special Attacks, and devastating Super Attacks, which impact a wide range of enemies.
- Unlock the secrets of Kingdom Force and the Archineers via an engrossing story with a multi character cast, told via hand drawn cinematics and cut-scenes.
New progression system automatically unlocks new turrets at specific story plot points.
Brand new Antonia Defense Battles featuring a new map.
All music remastered in high definition, with orchestrated introduction and ending.
Player controls remapped for keyboard/mouse and gamepad input.
Revamped User Interface, customized for HD resolution, including all new GUI Art.
Character portraits refactored in High Resolution.
Reinhard Pollice, Business and Product Development Director at THQ Nordic accompanied the announcement with the following statement:
“We had the great opportunity to work with people from the original development team of Lock’s Quest, and things clicked right off the bat. It is one of those hidden gems and a fan-favourite, so when things fell into place, we quickly decided to do this.”
A price point has not been revealed. But the game’s first screenshots and announcement trailer have been — you can check it all out below: