We know a new Deus Ex game is being developed at Eidos Montréal for next generation consoles and PC, and thanks to a new career opportunity ad published by the developer, explicitly listed under “Deus Ex Universe” and seeking an Online Programmer, now we know that the game is probably going to have some kind of online gameplay.
Here are a few relevant points listed in the ad:
- Work with the design team and a large programming team on the implementation of functions of online games;
- Building a suite of tools to ensure the operation of a game in live mode;
- Have the ability to operate in an environment of multi-platform development;
- 5-10 years experience in the video game industry as a programmer;
- Minimum of two published title – at least one as a programmer “online” video game;
- Good knowledge of Xbox Live, PSN and Steam API;
- Experience and good command of Square Enix Online Suite is an asset;
- Experience working on multi-player games is an asset.
- Experience in developing cross platform a plus.
Adding multiplayer to franchises that are seen as primarily single player is always rather problematic, so the successful candidate will have his work cut out for him. Yet, there have been some very positive examples in which the new features actually added to the game instead of detracting from it, so we can definitely hope to see an enjoyable outcome from this.