Today Iron Galaxy announced Extinction, a new action game coming in the first quarter of 2018 for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
The game is described as follows in the official press release:
“As far back as anyone can remember, humanity has been at war with itself. For generations, kingdoms have fought amongst themselves while the real threat loomed in the distance. Legend calls them the Ravenii, encroaching armies of bloodthirsty monsters standing 150 feet tall that once threatened to destroy humankind. Now the threat has returned, and only those trained in the ways of the ancient order stand a chance at defeating the ogres. You are one of the world’s last Sentinels, a soldier named Avil equipped with the skills to battle the endless wave of Ravenii.
Fight massive brutes and their minions across a sprawling countryside, defending cities and rescuing refugees torn from their homes. Swiftly define your strategy as hordes attack from the ground and air. Use the dynamic skill-based combat system to your advantage, tactically disarming and dismembering enemies to go in for the kill. This is no longer a war. It is an annihilation. And you are all that stands between humanity…and extinction.”
We also get a further set of bullet points, giving a more precise idea of what we can expect gameplay-wise.
- Deep Story Campaign. Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions. Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat. Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
- Interactive Environment. Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios. Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Custom Battles. Create custom battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode. Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
Extinction will be published by Maximum Games, and will cost $59.99 on all platforms. The game will be presented at E3.
Game Director Kraig Kujawa (who previously worked on Batman: Arkham Origins, Dark Void, Bionic Commando and more) accompanied the announcement with a statement:
“Extinction is absolutely relentless. We’re really happy with the fast, fluid feel of the game and we’re looking forward to showing it behind closed doors at E3.”
Maximum Games Executive Producer Derek Neal also provided his own comment:
“As the protagonist tasked with a huge undertaking – both in fighting enormous ogres and saving humans from disaster – each player’s experience will be varied, as the landscapes and battle situations are never identical.”
Iron Galaxy is known for its work on Killer Inctinct, and has worked on quite a few ports of popular games like Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, BioShock Infinite and more. It’s currently led by Adam Boyes, who many will remember as the former Vice President of Publisher and Developer Relations at Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Below you can check out the first cinematic trailer and screenshots, alongside the box art for all three platforms. If it reminds you of Attack on Titan, well… it really does.