If you have a PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV: a Realm Reborn, the free upgrade process to the PS4 version has now been made available by Square Enix.
All you have to do in order to perform the upgrade is to access your Mog Station and click on the big “PS4 Upgrade” button in the middle. Can’t miss it.
Good news are, while Square Enix warned that the conversion process could take some time in order to be executed, at least for me it was instant, and I was able to enter the game immediately. The situation may change later as more players log in, but for now it’s smooth as butter.
Wheter you did the upgrade or pre-ordered a new PS4 version of the game, the early access has also been opened, allowing you to play until the official launch on April 14th.
Those that took part in the last phase of the open beta will have to download a quick 147.48 megabytes patch in order to play, while those that downloaded the client from the first phase over a month ago and skipped the second will be required to uninstall the whole client and redownload it.
If you plan on doing the upgrade, here are a few words of warning directly from Square Enix:
- Upgrading should not be confused with registering a PlayStation®4 license in addition to the PlayStation®3 version. After upgrading, you will no longer be able to access FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn using your PlayStation®3.
- Please be reminded that after completion, the upgrade process cannot be undone.
- Upon completing the upgrade process, a PlayStation®4 system will be required to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
- All FINAL FANTASY XIV service account data including characters and in-game items will be carried over upon upgrading to the PlayStation®4 version.
- Users who wish to play on both the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 must purchase a separate copy of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn for the PlayStation®4.
- The upgrade campaign will be offered from April 11, 2014 until December 31, 2014.