While Xbox head honcho Phil Spencer mentioned that we won’t get any big announcement on the next Halo before E3, a new career opportunity ad seeking a Software Development Engineer in Test gives us a glimpse on something that will accompany it and the other halo games, apparently currently in development at 343 Industries together with Microsoft’s Games Test Organization.
The Games Test Organization (GTO) is working with 343 Industries on creating new and innovative companion experiences for the Halo Universe. We are creating a best in class experience for fans to dive deeper into the Halo games, story, products, and community across the web, Xbox One, and mobile platforms. We are seeking a self-motivated SDET with significant experience in web technologies and services. If you are excited about creating smart automated testing solutions and working on an entertainment product that has a large, rabid fan base, then this may be the role for you.
This position will own the design, planning, and implementation of various automated testing solutions while collaborating with developers, PMs, and producer counterparts within 343 Industries. The position will also participate in sprint planning and bug triage, own test planning for various features, and collaborate with other teams in 343 Industries for end to end integration testing across the Halo products.
The breadth and scope of impact in this role is a great opportunity for a candidate with a passion for client-service interaction, games, and sci-fi. If you want to work on a premier game franchise and be a champion for our customers, then come help us create the next generation of Halo!
A successful candidate must have:
– BS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent industry experience
– At least 5 years of SDET experience
– Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment
– 3 years of experience testing services and web-based technologies
– Experience with automation scripts, efficiency tools and business intelligence gathering/reporting
– A minimum of 3 years of C# development experience
A preferred candidate will have:
– Familiarity with Xbox and Xbox Live
– Experience with Selenium, PhantomJS, or other web browser automation tools
– Experience with Azure or similar Cloud Services
– Experience with games (ideally Halo or similar games)
– Experience with agile or scrum development practices
– Passion for the entertainment and/or gaming spaces
From the description, and the competences required, it seems that the “best in class experience” may be some sort of web-based service involving Microsoft’s cloud that will connect Xbox One (which most probably involves the next Halo game) and mobile apps.
The first thing that comes to me is a deep augmented reality experience similar to what we’re seeing with the Paper Trail of inFAMOUS: Second Son, but of course that’s just my personal speculation. What’s for sure is that the upcoming Halo game(s) will expand far beyond the Xbox One sitting in our living room. We’ll have to wait and see just how far that will be, but it definitely sounds promising.