Last week Xbox One owners were treated to one of the fall’s biggest releases with Halo 5: Guardians, and amid its great critical reception, Microsoft has revealed that the title (so far) has made a big debut and broke several records during last week’s launch.
In a new post on the Xbox Wire, Microsoft detailed that Halo 5: Guardians has debuted as both the biggest launch for a Halo title to date and is also the fastest-selling Xbox One-exclusive title ever in its opening week.
The post revealed that since launch, Halo 5 has reached over $400 million in global sales of game copies/hardware, indicating that the total number is accounting for both copies of the game sold and also including various Xbox One console bundles that included copies of the game.
On top of its big debut, Microsoft also revealed that lifetime sales of the Halo series have now pushed past over $5 billion, with Guardians also tracking with the highest week one attach rate of any Microsoft first-party title released, and also dominating Xbox Live as the most-played title during launch last week of any game on Xbox One. Guardians has also taken the crown as the best-selling digital game ever to release in the Xbox Games Store during opening week.
Microsoft also revealed a few additional statistics and facts in its post with the game’s big sales success:
- Fans have totaled over 21 million hours of total gameplay; includes 12 million hours spent in campaign, 9 million in multiplayer.
- Seven million multiplayer matches played across Arena and the all-new Warzone mode.
- Over 45 million REQ Packs have been obtained, with more than 568 million REQ cards unlocked in total.
- The “Halo 5: LIVE” broadcast earned a Guinness World Record achievement for the most-watched video game launch broadcast with more than 330,000 unique streams during the broadcast and generating over 5.5 million total views.
- The custom Twitter emoji for the game (#Halo5) was the first ever used for a video game franchise.
- Halo 5: Guardians was the most-streamed Xbox One exclusive game on Twitch last week, with more than three million total hours watched.
Microsoft’s Phil Spencer closed the post out with a statement on the success of Halo 5: Guardians‘ launch so far, detailing:
“The success of Halo 5: Guardians is a testament to the innovative work from the entire team at 343 Industries to bring this installment to Xbox One and the incredible community of fans who have come to love the story, characters and gameplay central to the franchise. The game represents all the possibilities of Xbox One and has earned its place as the anchor title in the greatest holiday games lineup in Xbox history.”
Halo 5: Guardians is available now for Xbox One.