Today Sony and Insomniac Games finally revealed the new Ratchet and Clank for PS4, and a lot more information about the game has been filtering down the grapevine.
First of all, we get screenshots and box art for the upcoming release (slated for spring 2016), which you can enjoy at the bottom of the post.
Secondly, a batch of official bullet points directly from the fact sheet, giving some more info on what to expect.
- RATCHET COMES TO PS4: Ratchet & Clank (PS4) takes a deeper look at the characters’ origin stories and modernizes the original gameplay, featuring new planets, new boss fights, flight sequences, and more – all constructed to take advantage of the power of the PS4.
- THE GAME, BASED ON THE MOVIE, BASED ON THE GAME: Ratchet & Clank (PS4) will launch for PlayStation 4 in Spring 2016 alongside the animated film of the same name. The film, featuring a star-studded voice cast, will be released by Focus Features in the United States on April 29, 2016.
- THE GANG’S ALL HERE: Romp around the Solana galaxy with the beloved cast of characters – Ratchet, Clank, Captain Qwark and the dastardly Chairman Drek, as well as many brand-new characters to the franchise.
- NEW GAMEPLAY, WEAPONS AND STORY: Ratchet & Clank (PS4) combines the signature platform adventure gameplay and humor the franchise is known for with new narrative details, planets, gameplay sequences, bosses and weapons.
- From the brand new Pixelizer (which transforms enemies into explosive 8-bit pixels) to franchise favorites like the dance-party-inducing Groovitron and wise-cracking robotic bodyguard Mr. Zurkon, Ratchet & Clank’s arsenal has never been better.
“We’re 1080p/30fps… our goal was to match or exceed the fidelity of CG animated movies. When we first started we realized that was actually possible with PS4. Pretty exciting”
“This is a new game, we definitely took elements from the original game, but also many elements from the Future series and otherwise. It’s a very new experience and not just a remaster”
Stevenson also mentioned that The game is “longer than Into the Nexus:”
“It’s a full game, and much longer than ITN”
He then gave a bit more info on the similarities and differences with the original game:
” While it follows the same bones of story (ie Ratchet meets Clank, they have to stop Drek) and visits many familiar locations, almost everything in R&C PS4 has been touched, updated, or is new.
All of the art is new and from scratch, the weapons arsenal is completely different, the controls are modern, the RPG systems are in there now, the AI and enemy set-ups are now built to accomodate for those facts, most areas have completely re-done or brand new gameplay sequences, Clank’s gameplay is brand new, flight gameplay is new, James Arnold Taylor plays Ratchet in this game, all of the cinematics and cutscenes are new.
Two very different experiences.”
“Every boss fight in the game is new”
But without further ado, I leave you with the lovely-looking assets.