While the future of the Dawn of War series is still hidden by the smoke left by THQ’s explosion, a new Warhammer 40,000 game has just been announced to quench the thirst of the fans of the dark sci-fi franchise. Strategy game specialist Slitherine Software will release Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon in 2014 for PC and iOS.
The Armageddon will be a hardcore turn-based, hex-based strategy game and as any Warhammer 40k fan probably already guessed, it will be based on the Second War for Armageddon, one of the most iconic and celebrated moments of the franchise’s lore.
Players will take control of the local Steel Legion regiment of the Imperial guard and will fight with the support of multiple Space Marine chapters against the Ork hordes led by the infamous Ghazghkull Thraka for the control of the planet.
Siltherine’s Development Director Iain McNeil accompanied the announcement with a statement:
It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive – I just can’t wait to play it! It’s been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world
Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop also added:
The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.Slitherine’s masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.
I don’t know about you, but I feel powerful Final Liberation (if you remember this game, you win 100 geek points) vibes coming from this project. While we wait to hear and see more, you can check out the official features list and the logo below.
Main features of the game include:
- The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
- It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
- A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
- Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
- Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
- Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
- Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
- Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.
- Over 35 scenarios;
- Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
- 20 different units stats;
- A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine’s PBEM++ system.