I hope you love your classic 2D series news, because we’ve got a bunch more for you courtesy of Nintendo. MercurySteam’s return to form with Metroid: Samus Returns unveiled today with a bunch of information given to us during a Treehouse presentation. But with a recent press kit release, the Big N gave us some lovely screenshots of the game and some interesting details.
The game is coming out for the 3DS on September 15th and has a suggested retail price of $39.99 USD. A Special Edition was also shown off that will potentially cost $49.99 USD and will come with a OST called Samus Archives and a cover with a front and back design.
Other features of Metroid: Samus Returns include:
• This intense, side-scrolling action platformer has been completely remade with engaging and immersive 3D visuals and a rich, atmospheric color palette.
• Classic Metroid II: Return of Samus gameplay is joined by a wealth of new content, including a set of brand new abilities that utilizes a mysterious energy resource called “Aeion,” a powerful melee counterattack, and 360-degree Free Aim Mode.
• There are plenty of secrets to find—and if you uncover enough of them, you may even start to unravel the mystery of Planet SR388’s past.
• Two new amiibo™ figures—Samus Aran and Metroid—will be released as a set alongside the game. This game is also compatible with the Zero Suit Samus and Samus amiibo from the Super Smash Bros. series. Functionality details will be revealed at a later date.
• While supplies last, fans will be able to purchase a special edition of the game, which includes a physical copy of the game, a sound-selection CD featuring 25 tracks from across the Metroid franchise, and a reversible title-sheet insert for the game case.
The description of the game also mentioned that this will be the same story as the original Metroid II: The Return of Samus. The blunt “Her mission? Terminate the Metroid menace,” pretty much summarizes this somewhat genocidal game that’s rated ‘Everyone 10+.
But don’t get caught up with that and enjoy the gameplay video and screenshots below: