Nintendo Switch Cartridges Coated in Bittering Agent to Prevent Being Swallowed By Children

One of the more surprising features of the Nintendo Switch cartridges that's been confirmed? They taste bad. Like, really, really bad.

on March 2, 2017 7:15 AM

The Nintendo Switch is only one day away and while there’s still plenty not yet known about the system before its release (how its online systems will work, etc.), one thing we DO know is that if you try and put a Switch cartridge in your mouth: you’re gonna have a bad time.

According to a statement from Nintendo to¬†Polygon, the company confirmed that Nintendo Switch cartridges are coated in a bittering agent to prevent children from swallowing them – in layman’s terms, they’ll have an extremely bad taste when they come in contact with your tongue.

Specifically, the Nintendo representative explained that “Denatonium Benzoate” is applied “to avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion” – a first for Nintendo’s cartridges, though interesting that it’s being applied to Switch cartridges as opposed to the cartridges that Nintendo’s previous systems have used, such as the DS or 3DS.

However, it makes sense for Nintendo to add some safety measures to prevent the cartridges from being ingested by small children, as the bittering¬†agent is non-toxic. However, the moral of the story is – don’t put a Switch cartridge in your mouth, because it’s gonna taste real bad.

The Nintendo Switch arrives in stores tomorrow, March 3rd, 2017.

 /  Features Editor
Ryan is the Features Editor at DualShockers, with over five years' experience in the world of video games culture and writing. He holds a BA in English & Cinema from Binghamton University, and lives in New York City.