Over a year ago, robotic exploration and survival game Phoning Home launched on Steam Greenlight with a cool idea and an interesting launch trailer. Today, the developer released the game’s second ever trailer, and announced that it would hit PC, via Steam, on February 7, 2017.
In Phoning Home, you play as ION, a young exploration unit on a mission to secure natural resources. After crash-landing on an alien planet your ship is completely destroyed. Your only hope is to contact your home planet for help, but that will mean exploring and surviving this strange new world that is full of dangers.
With only your ship’s AI for company, you set out to explore your new home and soon encounter ANI, a small and disgruntled service unit who identifies as female, and who is stranded as well. Upon finding her, ANI will join you on your journey that neither of you are prepared for, on a planet where even the laws of nature seem not to apply.
Here’s the game’s core features:
- Explore a new frontier. Large open environments with realistic environmental effects – from time-of-day lighting to dappled forests and snow-covered mountains, to volcanoes, canyons, deep oceans and scorching deserts – you must find your way.
- Experience a story with living (but not breathing) characters, brought to life by voice actors.
- Survive harsh weather conditions and temperatures – and protect ANI at all costs!
- An intriguing mix of exploration, logic and action gameplay.
- Create portals to traverse the landscape.
- Fight – or find ways to avoid combat.
- Craft improvements and critical tools from resources found in the environment.
- Discover the remnants of an alien civilization, decrypt their language and restore their technology.
- Enjoy a beautiful soundtrack.
A price point has not been divulged by developer ION LANDS, but as mentioned above, a new trailer has been. You can watch it below: