A new product from Hyperkin allows gamers to play real Game Boy cartridges on your phone. The company is now taking pre-orders for a Smart Boy Development Kit that lets your smartphone play Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges.
The $60 peripheral – currently only available for Android smartphones – isn’t meant for everyday use, Hyperkin is hoping you’ll improve the open source code yourself.
- Open source serial app and firmware
- Compatible with GB and GBC cartridges
- Classic handheld-style tactile button set
- Designed for Android smartphones
- Double-sided micro USB port
Nonetheless, probably the closest you’re going to get to the real thing. Hyperkin predict that the product will be ready to ship at the start of December this year.
Check out some screenshots of the Smart Boy down below.