Two person indie studio Bae Team sent out a press release today that’s challenging me to make as many cat puns as possible. But I’m refusing to, darn it, because Purrfect Date almost speaks for itself. This dark British comedy/visual novel/dating sim/Lost-homage has a release window of winter 2017 and it’s coming to PC and Mac via Steam, and iOS. While no price has been given to the game, the studio showed off a zany (and musical) announcement trailer to capture the ‘feel’ of the entire project.
Purrfect Date follows a human researcher studying the felines on Cat Island. There will be stat balancing, reconnaissance, dialogue trees, and mysteries to uncover. Of course the main draw here will be trying to perfect your dating skills with the talkative cats in your vicinity. A total of six felines are awaiting some chatting up and your choices and wooing will take you to multiple story branches and endings.
On the game’s Steam page, the following features are listed, absurdist points and all:
- 666 – 6 chapters, 6 playable humans and 6 dateable cats.
- Final Chapter – A final, 7th chapter, based on the decisions, choices and consequences of your 6 previous characters and chapters.
- A long tail – With more words than Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Purrfect Date contains more than 7 hours of Gameplay (Based on the average reading speed of 200 words per minute).
- Manage your Research, Recon, Romance and Stress levels – It’s up to you to diligently juggle your stats, while maintaining a flourishing professional and romantic life.
- Curiosity killed the cat – Multiple endings, paths, hidden stories and side adventures.
- Localised in as many as 1 whole language – English.
- Steam Achievements, Trading Cards and Cloud Saving.
- Meowsic and Programming by OliverAge24 – Musician, turned YouTuber, turned GameDev, this is Oliver’s debut game.
- Written by Ruby-Mae Roberts – Ruby loves cats. Her mum, Charon, also helped write the game.
- Pawesome Artwork by Dan Lish – He’s worked on games such as Grand Theft Auto 3, Serious Sam and DJ Hero, with companies such as Lucas Arts, Rockstar Games and Sony, and on loads more projects, including comics, album art and graffiti.
Not only is Oliver Hindle working on the game, he’s also an employee at the publisher, Bossa Studios. This company has helped release games such as I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator, so you should know what kind of game you’re going to get in Purrfect Date from that fact alone.
Even if nothing about this title appeals to you, I still highly recommend watching the announcement trailer below just it’s sheer lunacy. And ha! I made it all this way without making a cat pun. What do you think about that Bae Studios? I’m cat-calling you out… awwww, darn it.