Gambitious Digital Entertainment sent out a press release today to mark the launch of Redeemer. Developed by Russian studio, Sobaka Studio, this isometric action game is now out on PC via Steam. It retails for $14.99 USD but early adopters can save 15% until August 8th. Even the slight delay from a spring release couldn’t keep this God of War and Hotline Miami combination down.
Redeemer takes place in a monastery tucked away deep in a remote mountain range. Vasily, a former ‘security’ operative for a huge weapons manufacturer, has spent the last 20 years trying to find redemption. His former employers have been trying to find him for years after he escaped with (some of) his humanity intact. Even though he wasn’t turned into a cyborg like planned, he still did unspeakable things for the company. Vasily now has a chance to get back at the corrupt manufacturer and possibly find some atonement.
The game is described as a ‘brute force action brawler’ in the press release and the copious amounts of blood and close-quarter melee action definitely live up to that label. Attacks are mainly melee based with Vasily stocked with numerous moves and weapons. You can dispatch your foes in multiple, gory ways including stealth kills and environmental take-downs.
Redeemer is split between a single-player campaign that dives into Vasily’s murderous past and present, and an arena mode that throws waves of enemies at any brave enough to try. Both choices offer fast-paced action that is sure to make those looking for intense gameplay happy.
Other features include:
- Intense Top Down Action: Take out enemies using a wide selection of fire arms and melee weapons including combat knives, batons, fire axes, hammers and many more.
- Brutal Hand-to-Hand Combat: Use your mercenary skills to beat down your opponents using a collection of brutal fighting moves, combos, charge- and jump attacks.
- Unique Kill System: Use three different types of kills to mercilessly eliminate enemies. Sneak around levels undetected to silently perform graceful stealth kills, or use the very environment to dispatch your opponents using environmental kills by smashing their skulls, impaling them and setting them ablaze in flames (many more options available). Utilize your combat prowess to beat down your opponents enough to enable you to perform savage execution kills that will have you reaching for the screen capture key.
- Parry System: Defend yourself whilst taking down your enemies by utilizing a well-timed block. Learn the movements and attack patterns of different enemy types to perfect your parry and create a ballet of death for all of those unlucky enough to oppose you.
- Disarm-or-Dismember System: Use a unique combat move to either disarm enemies of their fire arms, or dismember certain enemies at will and use their limbs as melee weapons.
- Story Driven Single-Player: Discover Vasily’s haunted past and experience a narrative journey of betrayal and redemption.
- Arena Mode: Practice and test your fighting skills by battling countless enemies in a horde-like Arena Mode.
The mayhem is waiting for you on Steam if any of this piques your interest. The launch trailer is available below for those that want even more: