Those that wanted to try Trion World’s MMORPG RIFT but were previously discouraged by the pay gate can now download and play the game for free, as the move to the free to play (actually hybrid, as an optional subscription is still offered) has finally be completed.
In addition to the new business model the game also got a sizable content update named Empyrean Assault, that includes a massive new zone — the Dendrome –, a new 10-man raid, the ability to change the appearence of weapons (via the newly implemented cash shop), the ability to change faction and race and four new dimensions (RIFT’s very elaborate version of housing) plus a lot of new dimension items.
Here’s the official list of bullet points:
- 3 Open-World Raids: Take on the baddest of bad with all your Ascended allies in dynamically scaling Open-World raid encounters. Vanquish these foes for weekly rewards to earn powerful gear you’ll need to face the dangers ahead.
- Strongholds: Taking the planar war to the next level, Strongholds are yours to capture & defend against the invading hordes of the Bloodstorm, and scale to challenge 10-70+ players! Upgrade them with mutli-tiered fortifications & leap from platform to platform vanquishing foes and earning rewards.
- Queen’s Gambit Chronicle: The Architects themselves are attempting to Ascend! Stop them from achieving their goal and unleashing impossible horrors upon Telara in this challenging 1-2 player Chronicle that explores the story of Hive Kaaz’Gfuu.
- MMMMEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD! Everyone’s favorite imbiber of fine spirits has returned in the Dendrome & now runs the enchanted town of Hailol with his fae & furried friends – but all is not well for these party animals. Help Atrophinius with his attempts to bring peace to the Dendrome and denizens of the Plane of Life!
- Grim Awakening Sliver: This 10-man raid explores the fate of Kingsward had Salvarola succeeded with his plans – with new, powerful rewards to earn you better be ready for the challenge!
- Weapon Transfiguration: You can now change the appearance of your weapon to any other weapon of the same type! Purchase the Transfiguration Bauble in the RIFT Store or get your first one free with Loyalty Rewards.
- Change Your Faction or Race: Ever dreamed of being a Bahmi Guardian? Now you can be! Change your race in the Barbershop and then pick-up a Faction Change Scroll in the RIFT Store to change your entire appearance.
- 4 New Dimensions + a TON of NEW Items: Feel like Crucia as you lord over Telara from the Edge of Infinity or get in touch with your softer side in the pink-paradise of Hailol! These Dimensions & more can be yours along with modular building pieces, entire buildings, and HUNDREDS of new items!
Trion Worlds also released a new trailer to briefly illustrate the advantage of free to play. You can find it at the bottom of this post.
It has to be said that Trion moved to the “good” version of free to play, without taking away any feature from their former subscribers, whether they decide to keep paying the monthly fee or not, and just putting further perks and advantages behind the pay gate. I wish more developers followed that example upon jumping on the free to play bandwagon, as that’s save me and many other gamers a lot of headaches.