Many found the visuals of the multiplayer beta of Gears of War 4 a little rough, and that was mostly due to the fact that it was actually a pre-alpha, with a lot of non-final assets.
Today The Coalition revealed the new visuals of the maps included in the beta with a new blog post.
First of all, now the multiplayer runs at solid 60 frames per second, which it didn’t really achieve before. Ambient Occlusion and Capsule Shadows have been added, and shadows themselves are much higher in resolution. Localized reflections have also been improved.
Here’s a list of additional changes:
- Added that unique architectural feel and detail that defines Gears
- Ensured more color & contrast in the lighting to make the maps more visually appealing and original
Made cover more interesting and detailed, including making our maps look more organic based on feedback we had from Beta
- Ensured the ground players run and fight on is interesting, detailed and layered
- Made materials like metal, concrete, bricks and so forth look distinctive between each other.
- Tuned textures to ensure the play space is readable from a visual and gameplay perspective
You can check them out for yourself in two videos and a few screenshots below.