The Last Guardian has been a mystery for a long time, but at long last it has been announced. SCE Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida gave a very through overview of what went on behind the scenes during a livestream from the show floor at E3 2015.
Here’s what he mentioned:
- Standing in the backstage before announcing The Last Guardian felt surreal, the presentation itself was very easy, as he just had to be himself, say “thank you” and that he was happy.
- The original Team ICO was very small, just over twenty people, then it increased to about forty with Shadow of the Colossus. After that Ueda-san became independent, because he wanted more freedom on how he spends his time. He might also work on other concepts. Yet, he still works on The Last Guardian as his main project.
- The president of the new studio that is helping on The Last Guardian, Gen Design, used to be the Lead Programmer on both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. The main development team of the game is still part of Japan Studios.
- Sony decided to move the game to PS4 in 2012. The project went through so many technical changes, that many assets had to be replaced and reviewed.
- The main developer is Japan Studio, Gen Design is doing a lot of the creative work, and Ueda-san is directing the work overall. Ueda-sun was not fired: “That’s totally bogus,” Yoshida-san clarified.
- Yoshida-san and Ueda-san always believed in the concept, but the encouragement from the fans is what really wanted to make them continue with the project.
- It was a tough decision to change platform, because the game was running on PS3, but not with an acceptable performance. The decision was between releasing on PS3 with a compromised vision, and moving on PS4. They knew it would take a lot more time, but because of the encouragement from the fans they were able to make it.
- The project is in a really good state, but Sony never thought to launch this year. They didn’t want to make an announcement until they were confident about a release window and they could show it running on PS4. The video they shown during the press conference is the actual game.
- The development has the tech down, the concept is finalized, many levels have already been made, so Sony is very confident about the 2016 release window.