We know that Sony Computer Entertainment London Studio is working on a PS4 title, even if not much is known about it yet. Today we learn some more information thanks to a career opportunity ad published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe seeking a Senior Outsourcing Artist.
Below you can read the ad with the most relevant parts bolded:
London Studio is a member of Sony Computer Entertainment’s worldwide development studios based in Soho, London. We have a mission to create innovative and market leading games with broad market appeal in terms of play and entertainment. Our portfolio includes titles such as The Getaway, SingStar, EyeToy, EyePet and Wonderbook – these are technically acclaimed multi-million selling franchises that pay testament to our attention to innovation. We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Artist or experienced Outsource Artist to establish and create visual targets and ensuring they are delivered to the highest quality for our newest exciting next generation PS4 title.
This is a great opportunity for you to work in our central London Studio in the heart of the creative area of Soho, working as part of the art department the Senior Outsourcing Artist role will include maintaining the art assets quality received from the external partners, hands on direction and engine integration of assets including characters and props.
Job Responsibility, the role involves:
– Work closely with the Art Director and Art Supervisors to comprehend the art style, required quality and the technical constrains. Accordingly plan, brief, review, provide aesthetic & technical feedback and integrate outsource assets.
– Work closely together with the Outsourcing Supervisor to schedule and track incoming assets.
– Ensure quality of delivered assets.
– Own day to day communications with & creative guidance of external art teams.
– Work with the project teams and external departments to develop & improve internal & external workflows, pipelines and tools that allow for efficient, flexible and timely delivery of high volumes of high quality assets.
– Help mentoring and guiding the internal outsource team to maintain quality levels and build upon.
– Help prepare detailed documentation, art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external partners.
– Assist Outsourcing Supervisor setup tests for new outsourcing partners and incoming test material.
– Proactive in being aware of industry knowledge and highlighting examples of technical and quality benchmarks.
– Support the game teams with additional art assets creation where relevant (eg. Prop, Environment, Character art).
– Maintain a working knowledge of the current outsourcing market, its trends and processes.
– Contributes to ideas for development of the outsource department, projects and team.
Knowledge & Skills:
The successful candidate should have high level, demonstrable skills, knowledge & experience in the following areas.
– Ability to independently plan, brief, review & integrate outsource work.
– Very high level of modeling, texturing, and UV mapping skills including high detail modeling techniques in Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs) with an attention to modeling relevant detail when creating environment assets.
The team working on this game was described in other ads as “small and dynamic,” so it’s not too surprising that Sony is resorting to outsourcing part of the art assets that will be included in the title. It’s also interesting to see that both characters and props will be involved, even if we’re probably talking about secondary characters (normally protagonists aren’t involved in outsourcing).
Previous career opportunity ads let us know that the game will involve vehicles and will probably be based on Unreal Engine. Some of our readers suggested a new The Getaway (the necessity to outsource a large quantity of assets definitely matches with an open world game) and we’ll have to wait and see if they’ll be proven right, maybe at E3 in just over a month.