Telltale Games, the studio behind the fantastic The Walking Dead, Back to the Future and Game of Thrones episodic games may be branching out a little further than most game developers.
Most of their episodic titles have made their way onto just about every platform able to play them, including Android and iOS devices, but now it looks like the California-based studio could be spreading their reach even further.
A new job posting from the company for a Client Network Engineer mentions something rather interesting; the implementation of Telltale Games’ technology on “challenging” platforms such as Xbox One, PS4, Mobile and TV. Yes. Television.
As our Client Network Engineer at Telltale, you will work in a fast-paced and creative environment as the bridge between our online server and core technology groups working to build the next generation of online technology for Telltale’s unique narrative experiences.
Telltale’s Core Engineering group is responsible for developing low-level and mid-level libraries and tools used by Telltale’s multi-platform downloadable game development system; the “Telltale Tool”. The “Telltale Tool” is used by Telltale’s artists, designers, and Lua programmers to create tons of amazing content for XboxOne, PS4, XBOX360, PS3, Wii, iOS, PC, Mac, and Android. The Core Engineering group creates true “author once, run anywhere” technology.
• Help design and implement client code for online services and features, including cloud storage, account management, game telemetry, cloud computing, and real-time networking
• Work closely with the Production Manager and Web Developers to support all end-user features across all of the platforms we are deployed on
• Create robust, long-lived, content-agnostic systems with abstraction layers that enable maximum cross-platform feature fidelity
• Contribute to bringing the telltale technology and features to new challenging platforms: XboxOne, PS4, Mobile, and TV
• Design, develop, execute, and own subsystems which contribute to the overall architecture and design of the technology plan
Essential Skills and Experience
• 5+ years of professional C++/STL experience is required
• 3+ years of professional game development experience with client side networking is preferred
• 3+ years of professional server-side application development is preferred
• B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Strong understanding of SQL and NoSQL solutions, ideally dealing with billions of records
• Detail oriented “finisher” with proven ability to create tested, reliable systems for rapid deployment
So what could it mean? Well, this is just a personal hunch, but Smart TV’s seem to be growing in popularity and the demand for even more content is growing and growing, so maybe Telltale will bring their future games to Smart TV’s? It’s not out of the realms of possibility.