By now we all know that former Naughty Dog Creative Director Amy Hennig joined Dead Space developer Visceral Games to work in the same capacity on an upcoming Star Wars title, and two career opportunity ads seeking a Senior Design Director and a Senior Art Director have popped up, giving us more information on what said game might entail.
Here’s an excerpt from both posts:
EA is looking for an experienced Game Design Director to help lead the design and guide a team to develop a third-person action/adventure Star Wars title. You will be working closely with the creative director and studio leadership during the production, launch and live operations of the game.
What you will do:
- Help lead the game design on a high profile Star Wars title
- Develop and lead the creation of innovative and engaging game mechanics through iterative prototyping while maintaining EA’s high standard of quality.
- Work with the creative director to define the design vision of the game taking in consideration high level creative and business goals.
- 5+ years industry experience working as a game designer on AAA titles.
- Broad knowledge of game design, game mechanics, level layout, game balancing concepts and techniques.
- Experience with HD Console game design.
Electronic Arts is seeking a Senior Art Director to lead the art direction efforts for a new Star Wars title. As a Sr. Art Director, you are responsible for the visual quality, bringing the team under a consistent and unified direction and utilizing ground breaking techniques and tools.
Working closely with the Game Director, Executive Producer, Art Directors and Producers, the Sr. Art Director will define the game’s visual direction using cutting edge techniques from film and games to deliver unprecedented visuals for our product.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate closely as a member of the Game leadership team to deliver world-class AAA games and experiences that delight users and meet business goals
- The Sr. AD also works with external teams including outsourcing partners and is expected to communicate and maintain the vision on an international basis.
- Good knowledge of existing Star Wars IP & Art style & tone
- HD console game development and / or film experience
I’m quite sure not many will be surprised about the fact that the game will be a third person action adventure, as that’s the genre that Hennig herself mastered with the Uncharted series. I’m also quite positive that the idea of an Uncharted-like set in the Star Wars universe will turn quite a few heads.
In addition to that, looks like Electronic Arts plans to fire all the visuals big guns for the game, that is most probably be on consoles, looking at the experience requirements.
Something tells me that Star Wars fans are in for a treat. Truly awesome games based on the franchise have been few and far between, so we can only hope that the Force will be with Amy and with the new hires that will work with her at Visceral.