Awesomenauts Going Free-to-Play On May 24th; Receives New Trailer
Ronimo Games have announced that their side scrolling MOBA, Awesomenauts is finally getting the free-to-play treatment beginning May 24, 2017.
Ronimo Games announced today that their side scrolling MOBA, Awesomenauts will be going free-to-play on May 24, 2017. The developers stated that existing players will not lose any content during the free-to-play transition. In addition, any player who owned a copy of the game before today’s announcement will be given a “Founders” status which nets you a special medal. A new launch trailer announcing the free-to-play transition was also released today and can be seen below.
The title also received a major update today that overhauls the progression system, introduces more customization options and much more. Here is a breakdown of today’s update:
- A completely overhauled tutorial and beginner experience to help make the game more accessible. Though the game has always been fairly easy to pick up and play, the MOBA genre is inherently challenging to get into because of the highly competitive matches.
- A new progression system allows players to level up both their profile as well as each of their characters. Both will unlock their own unique rewards such as currency bonuses, portraits, character items, and portraits. This way you’re never far removed from the next reward.
- A new currency called Awesomepoints, which can be earned by playing matchmade games. These games can be either against other players or through the new ‘co-op vs bots’ mode. Awesomepoints can be used to unlock playable characters, profile portraits, and the new drop pods.
- This update also introduces medals to the game. These are unlocked by reaching various milestones in the game and can be used to show off the achievements a player is most proud of. All of the new customization options can be unlocked either by completing milestones in-game, or purchasing them with in-game currency.
- Real money will still be the only way to buy character skins, but can now also be used to buy individual playable characters and drop pods. Players will also be able to buy all current and future characters through the ‘Awesomenauts All Nauts Pack’. On top of all the characters, owners of the Pack will be granted the ‘Collector’ status, giving them an exclusive medal and skin.
Awesomenauts is currently available on PC via Steam for $24.99. The game will officially go free-to-play on May 24, 2017.