Today Electronic Arts released its financial results for the second quarter of Fiscal Year 2017 (related to the period between July 1st and September 30th), as you can see in the table below.
CEO Andrew Wilson accompanied the press release with a statement, defining the quarter “excellent” and boasting Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 as two of the highest rated games of this console generation.
“Q2 was an excellent quarter for Electronic Arts, led by breakthrough new EA SPORTS titles engaging players across console and mobile. We are in an outstanding position for the quarter ahead, with two of the highest-rated games of this console generation in Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, global competitive gaming tournaments underway, and our first virtual reality experiences coming soon. Across all platforms, this holiday season will be a fantastic time to play.”
A second comment was also provided by CFO Blake Jorgensen, who talked about FIFA 17’s strong performance and strong growth on the mobile market:
“Net sales in the quarter were better than expected driven by outperformance in FIFA, and supported by strong year-on-year growth in mobile. We are raising our annual guidance today based on the strength of our holiday slate and FIFA 17’s strong performance to date.”
Alongside the results, we get a few highlights showcasing the EA’s games’ achievements in the past quarter, including the mention of Battlefield 1 achieving nearly double the player base of Battlefield 4 in its first week after launch.
- Net sales* of $4.507 billion for the trailing twelve-month period are up 8% year-over-year.
- Battlefield™ 1 total player base for the first week was nearly double that of Battlefield 4™, and it continues to grow.
- In the first week of FIFA 17, 20% more players were engaged in the game compared to the first week of FIFA 16 last year and nearly 2/3 of all FIFA 17 players have engaged in “The Journey” story mode.
- Net sales from FIFA, Madden NFL and Hockey Ultimate Team™ are collectively up 15% for the trailing twelve months compared to last year.
- FIFA Mobile reached #1 on the App Store Free Games chart in 138 countries.
- Titanfall™ 2 has been rated 90 or above by more than 40 top outlets.
- For the quarter, net revenue was $898 million. Of the total net revenue 63%, or $566 million, was digital. Diluted loss per share of $(0.13) was above guidance of $(0.17).
- For the quarter, change in deferred net revenue was $200 million, of which $(80) million was digital.
- Net cash provided by operating activities for the quarter was $109 million. Trailing twelve month operating cash flow was $1.1 billion.
- EA repurchased 1.6 million shares in Q2 for $127 million.
Below you can also check out the rest of the line-up of titles in the pipeline for the current fiscal year, with Mass Effect: Andromeda once more confirmed for Q4 (between January 1st and March 31st, 2017).
Last but not least, we get an infographic with some additional stats stats.