Campo Santo Releases New Patch for Firewatch on PS4, “Significantly Improves” Performance
The indie mystery adventure Firewatch has already seen some great critical praise just about a week or so after release, and since then developer Campo Santo has been working to address some of the fan feedback on the PS4 version’s performance, with the studio releasing a new update to address those bugs.
Campo Santo explained in a new blog post that a new update for the PS4 version of Firewatch has gone live, with the new patch addressing many of bugs and feedback from players of the game on PS4 so far, as the studio explained the patch “significantly improves the experience across many aspects of the game.”
While Campo Santo didn’t provide a full list of patch notes as “the full list…is too big to write up here,” the company did give an outline of the most important changes and fixes addressed in the PS4 patch:
- Draw distance and shadow render distance have been improved, which should remove significant texture popping.
- Streaming loading and unloading has been significantly adjusted with extra safeties so you should no longer see loading happen right in front of you.
- We got Unity to fix a very rare hang that could occur when loading and unloading scenes.
- Many instances of unstable framerate have been improved.
- Auto-saves are now far less frequent, as they were causing the worst framerate hitches we have been seeing.
- Several places where people were escaping the world or getting stuck in collision have been refined. Also, if you are stuck in an endlessly falling state, the game will attempt to put you back, either through loading the last save or respawning Henry aboveground.
- Various cases where you were able to interrupt or break your current quest have been safeguarded.
Campo Santo stated “we’re still not done supporting Firewatch,” with the studio currently working with Unity for further improvements on the game, including “upgrading to an upcoming version of their engine,” along with added features like additional language options for subtitles and more in the future.
Firewatch is available now for PS4, PC, Mac, and Linux.