Crusader Kings III Launch Trailer Promotes Cunning and Strategy Needed to Survive
The launch trailer for Crusader Kings III highlights the importance of strategy for a successful campaign, from the POV of the Queen this time.
Crusader Kings III is out now, available for purchase through Steam here, and the launch trailer below celebrates both its accolades and the overall theme of the game: that it takes cunning and strategy to come out on top in a treacherous world:
I love that this trailer is narrated by the Queen this time around, following the pattern of the assassin narrating the first trailer and the King narrating the second. It shows the three sides of the court — the ruler, one who is loyal to you, and one who will betray you — and how those aspects are vital to understand in order to succeed in your campaign.
You can check out the final dev diary here, which delves into how they improved on both performance and AI as well as making modding easier for the community, and gameplay mechanics such as Legacies and Achievements.
According to Game Director Henrik Fåhraeus concerning the latest installment: “Crusader Kings III is a grand medieval simulator where you are free to live out any plausible ruler fantasy that we could think of — but not without challenge. Seeing its predecessor explode in popularity was very satisfying, especially considering that user friendliness was never our primary goal. Now we have a chance to address an even larger audience.”
The official site also details what to expect from the latest Crusader Kings title:
- Shape Your Dynasty: Guide unique characters through history, choosing lifestyles best suited to their personalities and your ambitions.
- Rewrite Medieval History: Dynasties will change and adapt to changes in family and politics, and religious beliefs are more firmly under your control.
- Build a Mighty Kingdom: Use your vassals’ fear of you as a weapon or call on familial obligations to persuade reluctant relatives to submit.
- Experience High Drama: Stranger than fiction stories leap off the screen, as characters plot against you and events push you to extremes.
- Learn as You Go: Guided advice to help newcomers navigate a rich medieval world. In-game suggestions tip you off to paths you might not have considered.
- The Usual Crusader Kings Fun: Keep a stubborn council in line, scheme against your overbearing uncle or marry the rich duchy…oops, I mean pious duke or duchess of your dreams.
Meanwhile, for those wanting to sharpen their skills for next year, Crusader Kings II’s base game is now free to play for Steam. There’s also plenty of DLC content once you run through the main campaign such as the Monks and Mystics Expansion, Jade Dragon Expansion, and the Holy Fury Expansion.
If you’re a fan of board games, the Crusader Kings The Board Game was fully funded on Kickstarter just last year. Not only did Crusader Kings III launch for PC via Steam, it’s also included in Xbox Game Pass for PC. Be sure to read my very own extensive preview of the game here as well and stay tuned for my full in-depth review of the title.