Cyberpunk 2077: A Timeline of What We Know So Far
With its announcement seven years ago, we have learned a lot about CDProjekt Red's upcoming sci-fi RPG Cyberpunk 2077.
Today is the seven-year anniversary for the official announcement of Cyberpunk 2077, CDProjekt Reds’ next ambitious project. It wasn’t until last year where we finally got a release date of April 16, 2020. Cyberpunk is arguably the most anticipated title coming out this year and has had quite an interesting development cycle. Since the title has met such a tremendous milestone I thought it would be fun to bring up everything that is worth mentioning regarding the development of the upcoming RPG.
- CDProjekt Red announces the title of their Cyberpunk project as “Cyberpunk 2077” during a conference in Warsaw. The developer also confirmed that it will be an open-world sandbox.
- – Developer CDProjekt Red announces in an interview with Eurogamer that Cyberpunk 2077 will have multiplayer.
– At Siggraph 2013, CDProjekt Red shows in a presentation that Cyberpunk 2077 will have gameplay from both the first-person and third-person perspective.
- In an interview with IGN, CDProjekt Red Co-Founder Marcin Iwinski says that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a true RPG and include new gameplay elements.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt composer Marcin Przybyłowicz announces that he will be composing the music for Cyberpunk 2077.
- According to Reuters, CDProjekt Red’s CEO Adam Kicinski says that most of the team is focusing on The Witcher 3 until 2017, pushing Cyberpunk 2077 aside for the time being.
- CDProjekt Red Visual Effects Artist Jose Teixeira says that Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest project that the developer has worked on.
- President Adam Kiciński and Studio Head Adam Badowski say that Cyberpunk 2077 has become more ambitious than the studio originally planned.
- CDProjekt Red announces on Twitter that internal files of Cyberpunk 2077 were stolen and are being held for ransom from an unknown person or party.
- CDProjekt Red says that there will be “No Bullshit” when it comes to pricing or microtransactions in Cyberpunk 2077.
- CDProjekt Red announces a small new studio in Wrocław to work on Cyberpunk 2077.
- CEO Adam Kiciński says in a shareholders meeting that the company has taken action against the party that stole the internal files of Cyberpunk 2077, adding that there has been no leak of those files.
- Cyberpunk 2077 gets its first trailer at E3 2018 since its official announcement in 2013.
- CDProjekt Red sends out a press release detailing Night City, the main character V, and the types of activities that you can do in Cyberpunk 2077.
- CDPR confirms that Cyberpunk 2077 plays in first-person and that romance will be a feature.
- CDProjekt Red confirms on Twitter that Cyberpunk 2077 will not be exclusive to a specific PC platform.
- Cyberpunk 2077 gets a new video highlighting the development behind the game including that its progression is “far from over.”
- A European retail site suggests that Cyberpunk 2077 will release in November 2019 which later turns out to be false.
- After reports of development crunch, developer CDProjekt Red promises to bring a better work balance to its employees.
- Cyberpunk 2077 gets a new cinematic trailer at E3, announces Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand.
- CDProjekt Red says that there are three different projects in the sci-fi universe currently in development.
- CDPR confirms that you won’t be able to kill NPCs or children in Cyberpunk 2077.
- In an interview with Wccftech, UI Coordinator Alvin Liu says that there will be a Hardcore mode difficulty which will completely remove the UI along with other features.
- Cyberpunk 2077 is officially announced for Google Stadia at Gamescom 2019.
- In an interview with Eurogamer, Senior Concept Artist Marthe Jonkers says that multiplayer is still up in the air for Cyberpunk 2077 and that they are currently putting their main efforts into the single-player experience.
- Cyberpunk 2077 releases a new gameplay video leading up to PAX West 2019.
- CDProjekt Red confirms that multiplayer is indeed in development and will release sometime post-launch.
- CDPR says that they are looking at different options for a New Game Plus mode for Cyberpunk 2077.
- CDPR announces that there will be no binary gender options for Cyberpunk 2077’s character creation.
- In an interview with VGC, Level Designer Max Pears talks about how the DLC for The Witcher 3 may affect the DLC for Cyberpunk 2077.
- During a company earnings call CEO Adam Kicinski reportedly discussed how monetization will play in multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077.
- Cyberpunk 2077 gets delayed to September 17, 2020, for more playtesting and polish.
- CDProjekt Red says that multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077 will likely release sometime after 2021.
- CDPR confirms that the delay behind Cyberpunk 2077 will cause some crunch for their employees after previously promising to create a better work environment in May of 2019.
- CDPR developers take to Twitter telling fans that the wait for Cyberpunk 2077 will be “worth it.”
- Senior Quest Designer Philipp Weber explains on the official Cyberpunk 2077 Reddit page that the team is currently optimizing the game for all platforms as studios do at the end of the development cycle.
- CDProjekt Red recruits studio QLOC to help with development and quality testing.
- Head of CDProjeck Red’s Krakow studio John Mamais states in an interview with OnMSFT that he is unsure that the Nintendo Switch will be able to handle Cyberpunk 2077. Additionally, the game will have around 75 street stories for players to do.
- In the same interview, Mamais says that Cyberpunk 2077 will not have a VR mode because the studio does not find it viable.
- Even with working from home due to the Coronavirus, CDPR confirms that they still plan to ship Cyberpunk 2077 in September.
- During a Polish investor Q+A, studio President Adam Kiciński says that they are planning on making at least two major DLC expansions for Cyberpunk 2077.
- Kiciński says during the same Q+A that the studio may have to add voice work in a day one patch due to the Coronavirus.
- CDProjekt Red confirms they have submitted Cyberpunk 2077 to all rating agencies around the world after a document detailing the game was leaked for Brazil.
- CDProjekt Red announces “Night City Wire,” a presentation to show off new details regarding Cyberpunk 2077.
- Cyberpunk 2077 ESRB Rating details that the player will be able to customize their genitals.
- Night City Wire gets delayed to June 25 due to the events happening around the world with George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.
- CDProjekt Red confirms that Cyberpunk 2077 will not be releasing on Google Stadia at launch.
- CDPR explains that players will have much more freedom in missions compared to The Witcher III.
- Cyberpunk 2077 officially gets delayed to November 19, 2020.
- CDPR reconfirms that Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players will be able to upgrade to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Cyberpunk for free.
- Cyberpunk 2077 gets a new trailer showcasing the kind of mayhem you can expect to find. Also, more Keanu Reeves.
- Japan determines that Cyberpunk 2077 will be censored in the country.
- An anime based in the world of 2077 called Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is announced that planned to release in 2022 being made by Studio Trigger.
- It is confirmed that you can pet cats in Cyberpunk 2077 (VERY IMPORTANT).
- Cyberpunk 2077 is said to support RTX, GeForce Now, and DLSS 2.0 on PC.
- CDProjekt Red level designer Max Pears says that wall running is no longer a capability in Cyberpunk 2077.
- Cyberpunk 2077 is set to have some additional goodies for everyone who purchases the game.
Cyberpunk 2077 is set to release on November 19, 2020, on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC with a release later coming to Google Stadia. You can pre-order the game right now on Amazon to help support the site.