Dark Souls III Is Game of the Year at Golden Joystick Awards; Mass Effect Andromeda Wins Most Wanted
Today the award ceremony for the Golden Joystick Awards was held at the Indigo at the 02 in London, and the winners have walked the stage one by one to pick up their joystick-shaped trophies.
Most of the awards’ results were determined by the vote of millions of users expressing their preference for their favorite games among a pool of nominees for each category.
If you’re wondering who brought home the much prized Game of the Year award, it’s Dark Souls III. And yes, it beat Blizzard Entertainment’s steamroller, Overwatch, which ranked 2nd, followed by Fallout 4.
Other nominees for the GOTY trophy that didn’t make it in the top three were Deus Ex: Mankind Divided,Doo, Halo 5: Guardians, Hitman, Inside, No Man’s Sky, Pro Evolution Soccer 2017, Pokémon Go, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witness, Total War: Warhammer, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and XCOM 2.
More notable plot twists are The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (and even Firewatch) leaving Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End behind for Best Storytelling, Pokémon Go beating both Oculust Rift and HTC Vive for Innovation of the Year, and Steam defeating both PS4 and Xbox One as Best Gaming Platform.
Most interestingly, Titanfall 2 won the Critics’ Choice Award, while the Most Wanted Game was Mass Effect Andromeda, which left behind The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Star Citizen in second and third place respectively.
You can check out the full list of winners below:
- Best Original Game: Overwatch
- Best Storytelling: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Visual Design: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Audio: Fallout 4
- Best Indie Game: Firewatch
- Gaming Personality of the Year: Sean [Day9] Plott
- Best Multiplayer Game: Overwatch
- Competitive Play of the Year: Coldzera’s jumping AWP quad kill at MLG Columbus
- Best Gaming Moment: Play of the Game in Overwatch
- Upcoming YouTube Personality of the Year: Jesse Cox
- Studio of the Year: CD Projekt RED
- Innovation of the Year: Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Eiji Aonuma
- Best Gaming Platform: Steam
- Best Gaming Performance: Doug Cockle as Geralt of Rivia
- Competitive Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Nintendo Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
- PlayStation Game of the Year: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.
- Xbox Game of the Year: Rise of the Tomb Raider
- PC Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year: Pokémon Go
- Breakthrough Award: Stardew Valley
- Golden Joystick Hall of Fame: Lara Croft
- Critics’ Choice Award: Titanfall 2
- Most Wanted Game: Mass Effect Andromeda
- Game of the Year: Dark Souls III