Dark Souls Sells 280,000 Copies In Four Days. Not even Gears of War 3 Can Conquer Japan
This Week’s Media Create Software Charts (Showing sell-through figures of games in Japan between September the 19th and September the 25th) are out, showing some interesting results.
First of all, everyone’s favourite super-hardcore, face-kicking Action-RPG Dark Souls sold a very respectable 279,567 copies in it’s first four days of release, grabbing the 1st place despite some patching mishaps during the week. On the other hand, despite the massive efforts by Microsoft in marketing Gears of War 3 in the land of the Rising Sun, it sold “only” 56,113 copies, ranking fourth behind the aforementioned Dark Souls, the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Tag Force., despite the very flattering 39/40 review from Weekly Famitsu (and the even more flattering 10/10 from DualShockers, of course).
Mind you, it’s still a very respectable number for a Xbox 360 exclusive in Japan, but it’s a little disproportionate to how massively the game was marketed in Japan. On the bright side, Xbox 360 sales have more than tripled, going from 1,295 last week to 3,897 this week. I’ll leave it to you to decide if you’re impressed or not. You can find the full top 10 past the cut.
- DARK SOULS (PS3) 279,567 (total 279,567)
- ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (PS3) 91,902 (91,902)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Tag Force (PSP) 64,350 (64,350)
- Gears of War 3 (Including Limited Edition and Bundle) (Xbox 360) 56,113 (56,113)
- NES and SNES Dragon Quest I · II · III Anniversary Edition (Wii) 54,775 (318,174)
- Senran Kagura: Shojotachi no Shihei (3DS) 52,206 (52,206)
- Busou Shinki: BATTLE MASTERS Mk.2 (PSP) 32,318 (32,318)
- ToHeart2 DX PLUS (including Limited Edition) (PS3) 24,429 (24,429)
- Tales o Xillia (including Bundle) (PS3) 22,484 (595,386)
- Champion Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop Racer (PS3) 18,281 (18,281)
Bolded entries have been released during this week.