French indie dev COWCAT sent out a press release today announcing that they plan to bring their wacky game to consoles. Demetrios – The Big Cynical Adventure originally launched on PC and Vita last year and now PS4 (which we reported on earlier) and Xbox One owners will have a chance with the pessimistic title: the former dropping on August 1st and the latter on August 2nd, both on their respective digital storefronts.
For those wanting to know what’s behind the strange name, Demetrios is a classic point-and-click adventure game mixed with a little visual novel flair. While the devs say a lot of their inspiration comes from the Broken Sword and Runaway series, the humor seems more in line with Leisure Suit Larry or Deponia. And as the PR states the game features ‘handcrafted art, it offers varied puzzles, for beginners and experts alike, requiring 8 to 12 hours to complete’.
The story, which is always important to games of this genre, has the titular character getting unwillingly dragged into a shady conspiracy with the forces of darkness. Too bad the slovenly Parisian antique dealer has little interest in solving the mystery. Luckily his energetic neighbor Sandra is there to point him in the right direction. Doesn’t mean he won’t get distracted by trying to find Easter Eggs on each screen that involve urination or X-rated Disney knockoff films.
The console versions will also have these additional aspects:
- Gamepad controls make use of sticks, D-Pad and buttons for quick selection and shortcuts, with several options such as the sticks sensitivity
- PS4 touchpad is supported as an alternative
- Interface and fonts easy to read on TV
- Full HD (1080p) hand-drawn art
- 37 trophies to unlock (including a Platinum) on PS4
- 37 achievements (1000G) to unlock on Xbox One with exclusive artworks
- Fully translated in 6 languages : English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian
What COWCAT doesn’t make clear is the price of the console versions but it should be the same $9.99 USD for the PC version. And we’ve been told that the currently available PS Vita Demetrios will be a cross-buy title when the PS4 digital copy drops. For now, you can check out the Xbox One launch trailer below: