DiRT 4 Announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC; Launches June 9, 2017
Today, Codemasters and Koch Media announced DiRT 4 for PS4, Xbox One and PC. Coming off the back of 2016’s critically and commercially successful DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 is set to take “the the passion and authenticity of off-road racing to the next level, whilst also reintroducing gamers to white knuckle truck and buggy racing in Landrush,” when it launches on June 9, 2017.
Perhaps most notably, DiRT 4 will feature a game changing system called “Your Stage;” an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce a near infinite number of unique stages at the touch of a button. How it works is that you choose your location and set the route parameters then Your Stage “does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends and then challenge them to beat your time.” Okay, so maybe that’s not how it actually works — I’m sure there’s a million things going on under the hood — but that’s how it will work for us, the players playing it.
According to Codemasters, Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer and more technical routes, whilst newcomers can use the feature to create simpler, shorter routes.
As for the rest of the game, it’s more DiRT. The latest installment continues to build on the foundations set by the Colin McRae Rally games: the bruising contests from the official FIA World Rallycross Championship, the chaotic battles of racing trucks and buggies, and the outrageous fun of open events in Joyride.
The following elevator pitch and features list is provided:
DiRT 4 challenges you to “Be Fearless” by capturing the thrill, emotion and passion of off-road racing. It recreates the heady mix of adrenalin and fear that comes from powering around a blind bend and the rush you feel going for a last ditch overtake when there’s not enough room on the final lap of a race. Off-road racing is about more than perfect cornering, it’s about heart-pounding split section decision making where bravery brings reward.
- OVER 50 OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING OFF-ROAD CARS EVER BUILT – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
- 5 INCREDIBLE RALLY LOCATIONS WITH MILLIONS OF ROUTES – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales
- THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE FIA WORLD RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac, Bretagne,Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series
- LANDRUSH – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
- JOYRIDE – Laptime challenges, smash challenges, free-play area and send challenges to friends
- DiRT ACADEMY – Taking place at the DirtFish Rally School in Washington, USA, learn the skills, techniques and practice to become the best!
- CAREER MODE – create your driver, compete across the disciplines, gain sponsors and build your team with clear goals and rewards
- COMPETITIVE GAMING – Daily, weekly and month-long challenges against fellow players from around the word
- NEXT GENERATION OF RACENET – Live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform leaderboards, enhanced CREST telemetry system
- TUNING – Tweak your set-up based on vehicle, track and weather conditions to best suit your racing style
- DAMAGE & REPAIRS – Wear and tear is faithfully recreated with an improved and realistic damage model. Damage can be repaired by hiring Engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages but with a finite amount of time available.
A price point was not divulged, but an announcement trailer and the game’s first screenshots were. You can check it all out below: