Do You Know Halo Better Than Anyone Else? Microsoft Might Have a Job for You
Microsoft Game Studios and 343 Industries are looking for a “certified Halo expert” for the team that works on the fiction behind the franchise.
If you always wanted to break in the video game industry but don’t have the years of experience that most job opportunities require, this may very well be your best chance, as the primary requirement is the knowlegdge of every little detail of the Halo franchise and backstory.
Below you can see the requirements in their entirety:
343 Industries at Microsoft Studios is looking for a certified Halo expert to join the team that builds and maintains the fiction of the Halo universe. If you already know off the top of your head how much an Unggoy weighs, the maximum top speed of a Warthog, and how big a Halo ring is, you might be interested in being a part of the franchise team responsible for creating new Halo stories across an ever-growing collection of games, books, comics, and live action video.
To fit this position, you will need to physically manifest your passion for the Halo universe. We will gauge your Halo knowledge and if you prove worthy, you could have the chance to help curate and grow one of the most popular science fiction universes around.
At the highest level, your work in this position will be:
50% writing/curating Halo lore resources
25% reviewing internal and external partner content to maximize faithfulness to Halo canon
25% project management (everybody on the franchise team can run their own show when needed)
– Play and intimately understand the Halo universe. “Attention to detail” would be putting it lightly for your role understanding and communicating everything in Halo games and extended fiction.
– Work closely and well with content partners in all forms of media, and represent Halo, 343 Industries, and Microsoft as a face for external partners and sometimes fans.
– Plan, write, and edit all needed pivots on Halo lore, including (but not limited to) articles, scripts, and reference libraries and documentation. All of this material must be comprehensive and easy to understand even by partners new to Halo.
– Demonstrate daily judgment regarding how to balance the history of Halo against new opportunities to grow the universe, as well as creative problem-solving about how to blend those two needs when necessary.
– Know and love the Halo universe to a degree that occasionally scares people.
– Proven ability (think: samples) to write and edit for many audiences; keep it entertaining AND correct.
– Organized, able to work on several tasks simultaneously and prioritize schedules and deliverables in a fast-paced, multi-project environment with challenging deadlines.
– Upbeat, positive attitude and ability to work collaboratively with opinionated partners and team members and deal with the ambiguity of the creative process.
– Experience writing/editing game content and audio/video scripts is a big bonus (+10!).
– Web publishing experience is a medium bonus (like, +7?).
– Ability to design and create your own polished final documents using tools such as Adobe Photoshop/Bridge/InCopy/InDesign and Microsoft Office.
– Be excited, but be ready. It’s going to be awesome.
Writing Sample Requirement:
In 1000 words or less, create a comprehensive summary of the concept of “The Mantle” as it currently exists in game and expanded universe fiction. Include images/videos if and when appropriate. Anticipate that this document would be used by Halo creators at 343 Industries and external development/creative partners. (It won’t really be, but that’s your expected audience.)
Please insert this writing at the end of the resume you submit in your application.
The difference between this career opportunity ad and the many others you can see for the video game industry is that previous experience is considered a bonus and not a requirement, while the focus is on the knowledge of every nook and cranny of the Halo universe, making it a very good chance for gamers that want to break into the industry (and do so with a running start on one of the most beloved franchises of them all).
Of course this is a full fledged job, and not just one of those little contests that award you with a quick gig and a pat in the back, so it should definitely be taken seriously. That said, if the gaming industry is your objective and you fit the requirements, you should probably give it a try. This kind of opportunities don’t happen often.