Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Switch Top Media Create Sales Chart
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Nintendo Switch manages a solid debut in Japan despite the country's usual resilience to remasters.
Today is Wednesday, which means that it’s time for the Media Create charts related to the week between April 30th and May 6th. That was the much awaited Golden Week, which means that sales were expected to go up a bit, despite the fact that the only new release was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
Below you can read the full top-twenty software chart. As usual, the second number for each game represents its lifetime sales.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – Switch – 88,421/New
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball – PS4 – 39,430/164,260
- Nintendo Labo: Variety Kit – Switch – 32,244/148,568
- Kirby Star Allies – Switch – 31,377/482,816
- Splatoon 2 – Switch – 29,850/2,297,437
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Switch – 23,983/1,521,818
- God of War – PS4 – 16,497/92,105
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball – PS Vita – 15,867/74,303
- The Snack World Trejarers Gold – Switch – 12,654/74,638
- Super Mario Odyssey – Switch – 11,873/1,716,639
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Switch – 11,151/980,427
- Nintendo Labo – Robot Kit – Switch – 6,694/41,003
- Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon – 3DS – 6, 506/1,628,863
- 1-2-Switch – Switch – 5,551/441,682
- Far Cry5 – PS4 – 4,400/131,788
- ARMS – Switch – 4,366/403,404
- Pokkén Tournament DX – Switch – 4,264/259,693
- Bravo Team – PS4 – 4,240/9,220
- SD Gundam G Generation Genesis – Switch – 4,192/16,168
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 3DS – 3,991/405,306
You can also read the hardware chart below.
- Switch: 53, 113
- PS4: 25,064
- PS4 Pro: 9,930
- New 2DS XL: 6,545
- PS Vita: 5, 502
- New 3DS XL: 3,509
- 2DS: 731
- Xbox One: 161
- Xbox One X: 27
During the Golden Week kids are out of school in Japan, so there is normally a spike in hardware sales and software dedicated to younger audiences, so much so that even Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo is back in the charts after a while. The Switch benefited the most, while the PS4 pretty much held flat from last week’s results.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze had a fairly solid debut, definitely better than the usual remaster, while Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball also benefited from its cutesy graphics and the popularity of the series among a younger target.
The Variety Kit for Nintendo Labo also recovered some sales, even if he didn’t manage to compete with the super-deformed baseball title, while the Robot Kit remains pretty much dead in the water.
Kirby Star Allies is closing on to 500,000 units sold in the country, while God of War is inching closer to 100,000 units, which will be certainly an achievement for a franchise that has never been really popular in Japan.
If you want to grab this week’s winner for yourself, you can do so on Amazon.
This post contains affiliate links where DualShockers gets a small commission on sales. Any and all support helps keep DualShockers as a standalone, independent platform for less-mainstream opinions and news coverage.