EA’s Tiger Woods Golf Lives On (For Now At Least)
Who cares about “family transgressions” when you have the best golf game ever? In the latest press release from EA Sports, the simulation powerhouse publisher highlights their biggest addition to their hefty Golf video game lineup for 2010. Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online is a disc free, browser based online golf experience. Starting today, there’s a demo/beta available for download at http://tigerwoodsonline.ea.com/. One of the coolest features of the new title is that it allows for the player to invite people on facebook to become fans and in turn are rewarded with in-game experience. Players can also post their stats and accomplishments up to the social networking site as well. EA has already done some closed beta testing for the title and during that time, the title was well received by the consumers trying it out. 500,000 rounds of golf have been played during that time. Pretty exciting for fans of golf sims, however one thing to point out is that this will offered in a multi-tiered subscription, which has me a little worried.
“During beta testing we’ve already seen tremendous participation and enthusiasm from golf fans around the world for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online…We’re looking forward to offering all players the opportunity to preview the game for free* in the coming weeks. Also, during open beta gamers can invite others to play via Facebook and we continue to encourage the community to help to drive the game’s evolution and development.”
-Executive Producer Mike Taramykin
Screen shots and press release highlights below!
Press Release Highlights:
- Golfer Progression – Players will begin their career as a beginner and by earning experience points, will climb the ranks toward becoming a golf legend.
- The Cut Line – As an extra challenge, each day a target score will appear that becomes the goal for each golfer. If the user meets, or scores under the target, additional in-game experience is rewarded.
- Fans, Favorites & Sponsorships – Each player will be able to acquire fans within Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online. The more fans a player has, the more experience points are rewarded. Sponsor your friends and earn in-game money if they make the Cut Line.
- Realistic Wind – Experience dynamic wind that calculates the direction and speed throughout the round, making the game more realistic and challenging.
- Pro Shop – Purchase upgraded equipment with in-game earnings to help improve your customized golfer and impress friends.