Electronic Arts "Striving to Pioneer and Lead" for Players; Announces Financial Results
Electronic Arts released its financial results for the first quarter of the fiscal year 2019 and promised a "strong slate" of games for the upcoming months.
Today Electronic Arts revealed its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2019, which stands for the period between April 1st and June 30th, 2018.
You can find all the relevant figures below.
Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson accompanied the press release with a statement providing an overview of the results from the executive point of view. Wilson mentions that the publisher is “striving to pioneer and lead” for its players.
“Across new games, new platforms and new geographies, we connected more players around the world to more great entertainment in our first quarter of FY19. We are striving to pioneer and lead for our players, with new EA SPORTS games and content on every platform, a first-of-its-kind subscription in Origin Access Premier and growing competitive gaming tournaments for FIFA and Madden NFL coming in the months ahead. With every game, every service, and every experience, we are taking steps toward our vision to connect a billion people in play.”
Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen also added his own comment, boasting a “strong slate of products” for the rest of the fiscal year (before March 31st, 2019).
“We started the year strongly as we continued to deliver on our growth strategies with a focus on new genres, new geographies and building engaging live services across our portfolio to drive recurring revenue. We have a strong slate of products to launch through the rest of the fiscal year, great content coming in our live services, and are continuing to grow our esports competitions.”
The press release also included a list of highlights outlining the publisher’s achievements during the quarter.
- Digital net bookings* for the trailing twelve months was $3.550 billion, up 13% year-over-year and represents 69% of total net bookings.
- The FIFA World Cup content update had more than 15 million unique players during the quarter.
- Launched FIFA Mobile in China this quarter, reaching #1 on the top downloads chart for iOS in China and showing best-in-class engagement on the WeChat platform.
- Launched FIFA Online 4 in Asia during the quarter.
- More than 20 million players participated in the current season of FIFA competitive gaming and had 80% more average viewers over last season.
- The Sims™ 4 player base grew 35% year-over-year.
- EA received more than 60 awards at E3 this year, including “Best of” awards from the E3
Game Critics for Anthem, Battlefield V, and FIFA 19.
We also get an overview of the Electronic Arts titles coming this fiscal year. Interestingly, Jo-Mei Games’ Sea of Solitude is indicated as releasing in Q4, which means before March 31st, 2019.
If you want to compare this quarter’s results with the previous one, you can check out our dedicated article from May.