After showcasing a CG trailer and a collector’s edition less than a week back, ELEX is back again with new info. This time we have a price and some gameplay footage of THQ Nordic’s action RPG with Fallout 4 vibes. The title launches on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 for $49.99 USD. And if you pre-order now on Steam, you’ll save an extra 10%.
The trailer mostly shows off the lush scenery of the open-world games. Scenes jump from a barren wasteland to a incredibly futuristic city to a dense jungle to a frozen over tundra. We do see some combat in this ‘Science-Fantasy’ world where a variety of weapons are displayed. As our previous coverage indicated, the game will be packed to the brim with weapon choices including hammers, magic, and harpoons.
The story focuses on a survivor of a crash who is outcast from their own homeland. All residents are forced to ingest the titular Elex, which inhibits emotions and but enhances bodily strength. This survivor is left without the substance and must now encounter a strange new world of rival factions, lawless expanses, and, most interestingly, inner feelings.
As the game’s Steam page states:
“ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic Science Fantasy universe that puts players into a huge seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.”
While the game world definitely looks beautiful, it’s the narrative possibilities that have me intrigued. For instance, those choices around morality will focus around keeping your humanity intact or becoming more powerful and less compassionate by using Elex. Some of the other features sound tantalizing as well:
- Completely seamless Open World experience without borders and loading zones for the ultimate exploration experience
- Vertical Exploration: Use the jetpack to reach any place in the game world
- Simulated game world where everything reacts to the players actions and provides for an authentic atmosphere
- Highly interconnected quest system that support true player choices
- Tactical and challenging combat system for close and ranged combat
- Universe set in a post apocalyptic science fantasy universe that combines the most interesting aspects of all genres
While it’s hard not to see the influence of the 3D Fallout games, ELEX does seem to be paving its own path. I’m just hoping to see more gameplay to get a better idea of how it looks in action as this trailer (which is available below) is more of a teaser for that sort of thing.