Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl Gets a New Story Trailer; Learn More About the FOEs in Each Dungeon
In Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl‘s latest update, we learn more about the FOEs (the incredibly difficult enemies unique to each dungeon) that you’ll come across in your adventures. A new story trailer has also been released, which reveals more about the characters and plot. The Millennium Girl will be released in North America on October 1st.
In the trailer, we learn that the main female protagonist, Frederica Irving, has traveled a thousand years into the past to prevent a catastrophe from occurring, one that ruined her future world. She also seems to have been frozen in a cryogenic sleep for that period of time. The main protagonist, only known as Highlander, traveled from his home to Etria after receiving a request from his elder. Other characters that you will meet and in turn will join your party are Simon Yorke, Arthur Charles and Raquna Sheldon.
There’s also a first look at the powerful and puzzle like enemies you will encounter in The Millennium Girl, known as FOEs (Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens). FOEs appear on the map as clearly identifiable orbs and have unique identities on the battlefield. They move one space for each step taken or turn elapsed in battle, so it’s possible to for them to crash in on a random encounter battle. Each FOE has its own behavioral and movement patterns, turning nearby FOEs and their dungeon homes into puzzles to be solved.
- Furyhorns- As the first FOE you meet, the Furyhorn is sort of a “training wheels” encounter. It moves back and forth on a preset line and won’t chase you down if you stray into its line of sight. If you’re feeling daring and sure that you’re in no danger of getting bogged down in a random encounter-the enemy indicator gauge to the lower right helps a lot with this-then you can follow behind it to get where you need to be.
- Giant Moas- These flightless birds require a bit more care on the player’s part, especially when combined with partners or the hazardous terrain. They generally stay still and spend a couple of moves facing a particular direction before turning right. So long as you stay out of their field of view, they’re harmless, but if they ever manage to catch sight of you, they’ll give chase. If that happens, you’ll have to retreat out of its territory entirely and wait for it to return to its perch before trying again. You’ll definitely want to make sure your map is accurately drawn before making a second attempt.
- Boulder Boars- These ugly customers “hide” in plain sight as piles of rocks and only come alive when they think they have a shot at catching their prey-namely, you. Once they shed their disguise and rear up, your next move had better be to get out of their way; if it’s not, you’ll find your party smack in the path of their lightning-quick rampage straight forward. This is easily done when you’re only dealing with one at a time, but if you ever find yourself in a whole room dotted with the things, you’d best step lively to avoid being gored.
- Jungle Killers- These FOEs have the particularly nasty habit of breaking the rules and not showing up on the field until you’re only a couple spaces away, at which point they break from cover and begin chasing you down. If you find yourself suddenly faced with one, your only option is to try to use the environment to get around its hiding place so you can get past. If you haven’t yet mapped out enough of the surrounding area, you can also try retracing your steps far enough that it loses interest.
- Reaping Shades- You’ll meet these terrors in wide, open spaces, and you’ll need the room. They home in on you from the instant you enter their territory and never let up until you find your way out. To get past them, you’ll need to perform a sort of grim waltz: they’ll only take two steps for every three of yours, which can give you the slight opening you need to get past. Just be careful not to squander that opportunity in a random battle as you try to gain that slight lead, or they could be breathing even closer down your neck.
Check out the trailer and screenshots of each FOE below. You can also check the official website for more information on Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl.