Fortnite In-Game Tournaments Are Beginning Tomorrow
Epic Games officially announced the inclusion of in-game tournaments for Fortnite, which will pit players from different platforms together.
While anyone who casually follows and plays Fortnite is likely used to seeing news of tournaments with professionals, new in-game tournaments will allow anyone to join the fray. Initially leaked by accident on October 11, Epic Games officially made the announcement today on their blog that In-Game Tournaments for Fortnite are beginning tomorrow, October 16.
The addition will come with tomorrow’s 6.10 update for the game. Each tournament session will have players begin on an even-level playing field, with competitors scoring points either through their final placement during matches or by racking up kills. Matchmaking will pair players with those at a similar skill and point level.
With the game on multiple platforms and utilizing either a mouse and keyboard, controller, or a touch screen, gameplay balance was a concern for Epic—however, the developer assures that their observations from multiple competitive events have led them to believe that controller players are able to stand their ground against keyboard and mouse users.
Below is the initial tournament schedule that Epic provided in their blog post:
On release, the following tournaments will be scheduled in NA*, EU, BR, ASIA, and OCE regions. Scheduled times will vary by region – check the tournament inside the client for details.
- Alpha Tournament (Solo)
- Dates: October 16 – October 21
- Description: Participate in the first in-game tournament, spanning across several days of daily competition!
- Beta Tournament (Duo)
- Dates: October 23 – October 25
- Description: Grab a friend and take on the world – until you are the last two left.
- Friday Night Fortnite (Squad)
- Dates: October 19 – November 30
- Description: Join your friends every Friday and kick off your weekend with some exciting Squad action.
- Salty Springs Cup (Solo)
- Dates: October 27 – October 31
- Description: One week and three attempts to prove you’re the saltiest that Salty Springs has to offer.
- Tomato Temple Cup (Duo)
- Dates: October 28 – November 1
- Description: Become legends of the Tomato Temple Cup.
*Note: NAE and NAW are combined together into the same tournament, but players will still connect to their nearest server except in low population circumstances primarily when a player has a high score.
We are excited to announce the new In-Game Tournaments system, launching this week!
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) October 15, 2018