FTL: Advanced Edition Coming to PC and iPad
The popular top-down 2D sci-fi strategy role-playing game, FTL, will be receiving an expansion on PC and a brand-new version for the iPad. The new content will leave the game re-branded as FTL: Advanced Edition.
The game’s developers provided the following initial details pertaining to the new content:
- Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
- Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
- New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert (http://tom-jubert.blogspot.co.uk/) has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work onProject Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
- New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
- And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!
The game’s controls have been slightly modified to allow for touch controls in the iPad version. The developers commented that while they would love to port the game for Android and Surface as well, it is currently outside of their development scope. Additionally, they confirmed that FTL will definitely not be developed for phones.
FTL: Advanced Edition will be available for PC and iPad in Early 2014. You can check out a trailer for the new version and content below.