Genshin Impact - How to Unlock Fishing, Baits, The First Rod And Pool
Here's how fishing works in Genshin Impact
Maintenance for Genshin Impact Version 2.1 Floating World Under the Moonlight is over, adding a Fishing System to the online Open World JRPG – here’s how to get started, with unlocking your first rod and the Serenitea Pot pool needed to keep Ornamental Fish.
- MORE – How to unlock Aloy in Version 2.1
Clear the Exploding Population World Quest
First, we need to complete the World Quest named Exploding Population. Check your Quest list and activate the navigation on it. Keep in mind you won’t have the Quest in your Quest List if you haven’t unlocked the Serenitea Pot / Housing system yet.
The first step is to talk to the Katheryne in Mondstadt. I assume you’ll be in Inazuma when reading this, so you’ll have to teleport back. Keep in mind you can only trigger the quest by speaking to Mondstadt Katheryne. Not the one in Liyue or Inazuma.
After a quick dialogue, you’ll be asked to talk to another NPC named Nantuck. Just follow the instructions and follow the navigation. Nothing complicated.
Genshin Impact Fishing tutorial – How to get the first rod and the Pool of Sapphire Grace
Nantuck will guide you to a fishing spot in Cider Lake, and you’ll get your rod and a tutorial on Fishing. Be sure to read the tutorial. If you missed it, it explains in summary:
- Ripples on the surface of the water indicates it’s a fishing point
- Different type of baits attracts different types of fish
- Don’t make noise or trigger combat actions (using your E / Q etc) or the fishes will scatter
- You can check which type of fishes appear when approaching a fishing point
- Obtain new bait recipes from the various Fishing Associations and craft them with a Crafting Bench
- You need to land your hook not too far away but not too close either to the fish
- Press the Raise Hook button once the fish is hooked (a message will be displayed to warn you)
- Hold and release the button accordingly to keep the hook symbol in the yellow zone of the Tension Gauge. It’s displayed at the top of the screen
- Some fishes are harder to catch than others and will make the yellow zone turn orange and harder to stay in
Once you’ve caught your first fish, talk to Nantuck again to keep following the quest until the ending. Note that you also have Ornamental Fish. They’re noticeable as they jump out of the water, but they seem pretty rare. These can be caught and exposed in the Serenitea Pot after getting a Pool of Sapphire Grace from the Fishing Association in Liyue Harbor.
- MORE – Fishing spots and locations so far
The Liyue Fishing Association location – Additional Fishing System tips (Update)
Looks like fish respawn infinitely as long as you advance in-game time, even if you startled them. Update: They do stop spawning after a certain amount of time-shifting.
Moreover, Fruit Paste Bait tends to attract many different types of fish such as Medaka and its variants (Glaze, Aizen, etc). Meanwhile, I’ve noticed it’s best to use Redrot Bait for Venomspike fish. You should keep experimenting with the Baits.
The Liyue Fishing Association is at the far end of the port. It’s marked on the map but just in case you don’t see it I’ve included a screenshot below. You’ll need 10 Medaka fish to get the Pool of Sapphire Grace.
As a side note, keep in mind Version 2.1 also added a new hook symbol among the map pins. You can use it to note down your favorite fishing spots.