Today is Wednesday, and as usual Media Create released its weekly sales chart related to the period between October 16th and October 22nd. Last week was quite interesting, as it saw the release of Gran Turismo Sport by Sony Interactive Entertainment and Polyphony Digital.
- Gran Turismo Sport – PS4 – 150, 286/NEW
- City Shrouded in Shadow – PS4 – 48,935/NEW
- The Evil Within 2 – PS4 – 42, 941/NEW
- Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary – PS4 – 42,092/NEW
- Uta no Prince Sama Amazing Aria & Sweet Serenade LOVE – PS Vita – 19, 904/NEW
- Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary – PS Vita – 18,784/NEW
- Splatoon 2 – Switch – 16,483/1,249,006
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Switch – 11, 142/758, 597
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War – PS4 – 8,083/28, 227
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Switch – 5,430/616, 383
- Pokkén Tournament DX – Switch – 5,224/102, 359
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions – 3DS – 5,092/43,094
- FIFA 18 – PS4 – 3,910/79,701
- No Heroes Allowed! VR – PS4 – 3,464/8,925
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 – PS4 – 2,987/105, 005
- Snack World Treasures – 3DS – 2,882/183, 780
- Monster Hunter XX – Nintendo Switch Ver. – 2,814/158, 448
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 2,748/256, 413
- NBA 2K18 – Switch – 2,689/NEW
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III – PS4 – 2,473/107,772
Below you can also check out the hardware chart:
- Switch: 31, 092
- PS4: 25,075
- New 2DS XL: 8,449
- PS4 Pro: 6, 203
- New 3DS XL: 6, 187
- PS Vita: 3,535
- 2DS: 1,367
- New 3DS: 195
- Xbox One: 69
- PS3: 50
- Wii U: 40
Gran Turismo Sport unsurprisingly took the top of the chart but did not manage to beat Gran Turismo 6, which debuted with 204,784 copies in the country. Of course, it didn’t even come close to the glory days of Gran Turismo 5, which launched on PS3 with 430,707 units sold. This is unlike the U.K. market, where the new game pushed past Gran Turismo 6 but sold less than one-third of GT5‘s debut units.
That being said, Media Create counts only physical retail sales, so there is still a possibility that the Polyphony’s new racing game may have beat its most immediate predecessor counting digital downloads, but it’s very unlikely to have reached GT5‘s numbers.
That being said, the real surprise isn’t in racing games this time around, but in Granzella and Bandai Namco’s niche new IP City Shrouded in Shadow that managed to captivate a portion of the Japanese audience with its popular kaiju and mecha, and with its general craziness. Almost 50,000 copies sold at debut is really solid for this kind of game.
The Evil Within 2 and Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary also had fairly solid debuts, helping color the first six spots in the chart in a PlayStation hue. That being said, The PS4 and PS4 Pro only inched above the Nintendo Switch, which is still suffering from shortages. Things will be much different next week, with the launch of Super Mario Odyssey.