GTA V Sold Over 400,000 Copies During Lockdown In Just The UK
Even though the game first released back in 2013, GTA V continues to sell all across the world, especially in the UK.
As businesses continue to struggle during the global pandemic, the video game industry continues to thrive now that people need stuff to keep them occupied while they are at home. This is especially true for sales of video games in the UK and you can probably guess which game is on the list. Yep, GTA V.
The Entertainment Retailers Association shared sales data between the dates of March 23 to June 13.
During the lockdown in the UK, GTA V has continued to sell incredibly well. The game sold 438,902 copies during the lockdown alone. The game has shipped a massive 135 million copies worldwide for all platforms and I can guarantee that number is still going to grow.
Other than Grand Theft Auto, Activision’s Call of Duty Modern Warfare and EA’s FIFA 20 continue to sell like hotcakes. FIFA was the best selling game during the lockdown and sold 506,572 copies while Modern Warfare sold 474,902 copies.
The ERA gathered data for both physical and digital sales. However, some companies did not share their digital sales. Nintendo and Bethesda decided not to supply them with download numbers. As pointed out by Eurogamer, this is probably why Animal Crossing is farther down the list with only 206,069 copies sold.
Anyways, here is the top 40 in terms of sales data for all of entertainment during the lockdown in the UK:
- Video: Star Wars 9 – The Rise Of Skywalker, Walt Disney Studios – 637,484
- Video: Frozen 2, Walt Disney Studios – 541,783
- Games: FIFA 20, Electronic Arts – 506,572
- Games: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, Activision Blizzard – 474,902
- Games: Grand Theft Auto 5, Rockstar Games – 438,902
- Video: 1917, Universal Pictures – 411,925
- Video: Jumanji – The Next Level, Sony Pictures HE – 411,151
- Games: NBA 2K20, 2K Sports – 400,879
- Games: Monopoly Plus, Ubisoft – 253,045
- Video: Bad Boys For Life, Sony Pictures HE – 241,471
- Games: Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Nintendo – 206,069
- Games: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered, Activision Blizzard – 203,749
- Video: Onward, Walt Disney Studios – 191,847
- Games: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Square Enix – 185,260
- Video: Sonic The Hedgehog, Universal Pictures – 177,940
- Video: Knives Out, Elevation Sales – 155,129
- Games: The Sims 4, Electronic Arts – 146,006
- Games: Resident Evil 3, Capcom – 143,042
- Games: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Ubisoft – 132,395
- Albums: Future Nostalgia Dua Lipa, Warner Music – 122,740
- Games: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Electronic Arts – 116,669
- Video: Le Mans ’66, Walt Disney Studios – 113,962
- Games: Uno, Ubisoft – 112,800
- Games: Red Dead Redemption 2, Rockstar Games – 108,784
- Video: Little Women (2019), Sony Pictures HE – 108,245
- Video: Jojo Rabbit, Walt Disney Studios – 107,478
- Games: Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, Ubisoft – 104,935
- Albums: Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent Lewis Capaldi, Universal Music – 95,733
- Games: Just Dance 2020, Ubisoft – 95,656
- Games: Forza Horizon 4, Microsoft – 95,139
- Video: Birds Of Prey And The Fantabulous, Warner Home Video – 94,810
- Games: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Activision Blizzard – 93,713
- Games: EA Sports UFC 3, Electronic Arts – 91,706
- Video: Spies In Disguise, Walt Disney Studios – 88,966
- Video: Bloodshot, Sony Pictures HE – 85,341
- Games: Football Manager 2020, Sega – 84,104
- Video: The Gentlemen, EIV – 80,780
- Games: Spider-Man, Sony Interactive Entertainment – 78,247
- Albums: After Hours Weeknd, Universal Music – 75,871
- Video: Dolittle, Universal Pictures – 74,124