We already know that Killzone: Mercenary developer Guerrilla Cambridge is working on an unannounced PS4 game and we recently discovered that said game is part of a “High Profile, Multi-Million Selling Franchise.” Today we learn more about it thanks to another career opportunity ad seeking an Asset Artist.
Guerrilla Games’ Cambridge studio is looking for a talented Asset Artist to join their world-class art team working on PS4. We’re looking for someone to work as a key member of a small motivated team of artists. As the successful candidate, you will work with art directors and concept artists to create high quality photorealistic game assets.
Your portfolio should:
- Demonstrate both hard and soft surface 3D modelling techniques.
- Demonstrate PS3 quality texturing (Diffuse, Spec, Normal).
- Demonstrate the ability to UV complex objects efficiently.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of believable mechanical structures and construction.
- Demonstrate a keen attention to detail both on large and tiny details to produce a stunning solid looking asset.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of Adobe Photoshop.
- Demonstrate expertise in the use of Autodesk Maya or similar 3D creation software.
It would also be beneficial if your portfolio:
- Contains concept paints or sketches and any other artistic hobbies.
- Shows examples of Shader creation skills.
- Contains examples of PS4 quality texturing (Physically Based Shaders).
- Demonstrates high polygon asset creation either in hard or soft surface modelling.
We’re interested in hearing from you if:
- You are able to work within a predefined art style as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- You are able to deliver work to a very high level of quality within fixed time constraints.
- You show enthusiasm, drive and the ability to learn new processes.
- You are able to balance technical, gameplay and artistic constraints, and are able to work collaboratively on reaching a solution between disciplines.
- You are able to work with a good level of autonomy but are also comfortable working with feedback and take direction effectively.
- You can apply lateral thinking to find innovative creative solutions.
- You are able to present, discuss and critique your own work as well as that of others within the team, providing sensitive, yet effective feedback and direction.
- You can draw inspiration from a variety of sources outside of games.
- You have development experience on multiple shipped games.
- You have development experience on recent AAA console games.
- You have a good working knowledge or interest of modern shader models.
- You have a good knowledge of current and past video games.
It would be beneficial but not required if:
- You are an experienced Autodesk Maya user.
- You show high proficiency in the use of zBrush or Mudbox.
- You have scripting experience in Mel or Python.
The ad tells us quite a few things about the new game: it will use photorealistic assets (either textures or models or both), meaning that it’s most probably not going to have a cartoonish style. Secondly, it’s going to include “believable mechanical structures.” That detail definitely seems to indicate science fiction as a possible genre, which could be another hint towards a new Killzone game for Sony’s new console.
The new game will also use physically based shaders, which simulate the physical interaction of light with material, providing both a more accurate lighting and shading and a more intuitive development pipeline.
Incidentally a second ad for a Visualisation /Concept Artist was also posted, but it didn’t include specific clues on the contents of the game, besides the mention of “industrial design,” which seems to match with the idea of “mechanical structures.”
One thing is for sure: while we’ll have no way to be sure until Sony actually makes an announcement, it seems that the possibility of a new Killzone game for PS4 by Guerrilla Cambridge is getting more solid.