You know I’ve been asking for screenshots on Xbox One for quite a while. I’m a bit of a screenshot maniac. And guess what? My wish is going to be granted with the March update, along with some spiffy features.
Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb introduced the update in his blog, and you can also check a video at the bottom of the post.
Screenshots – While playing a game, you can now take screenshots on your Xbox One console by simply double-tapping the Xbox button on your controller to capture a screenshot and pressing Y to save the screenshot. If your Xbox One is equipped with a Kinect, you can also say “Xbox Take a Screenshot” to take and save a screenshot.
Upload App – The Upload app is being updated so that you can manage your screenshots in addition to your game clips. You can use a screenshot as your background, by viewing the screenshot in full-screen mode from the Upload app, then, press the Menu button and select Set as background.
Suggested friends – With the suggested friends feature, the Friends area in home and your friends list will help you find and add friends. Suggested friends will include people you might know, so you add more friends to game with, and top community broadcasters and clip creators, so you can get more great content in your activity feed.
Sharing your name – We’re rolling out two new ways to share your real name; with all of your friends or to everyone in the Xbox Live community. You can also continue to share your real name with select friends, or with no one, if that’s what you prefer. Gamertags are still the primary method of identifying yourself on Xbox Live, but sharing your real name helps people recognize you who might not know you by your gamertag.
Tile transparency – We continue to listen to your feedback and are adding a setting to enable you to vary the level of transparency for your background images. Go to Settings -> My Xbox -> Tile transparency.
Privacy & online safety settings – We added a new setting for sharing voice search data to create an option for users to allow collection and analysis of voice data when they use Xbox – Bing to search.
Report spam – The Messages app has an added option to allow you to notify Xbox when you receive spam. You can now select a specific message, press the A button and then select Report -> Spam to report a specific message as spam.
OneGuide for Australia – Support for OneGuide will continue in preview in Australia for free-to-air TV listings.
Xbox One Digital TV Tuner in Australia – Xbox One owners in Australia with an Xbox Digital TV Tuner can now use it with the preview builds of this month’s release.
What’s most interesting is that some of those features are actually rolling out today to users in the Xbox One preview update. Below you can find the full patch notes.
OS version released: xb_rel_1503.150215-2200
Available: 6:00PM PT 2/18 (2AM GMT 2/19)
- Screenshots: While playing a game, you can now take screenshots on your Xbox One console by simply double-tapping the Xbox button on your controller to capture a screenshot and pressing Y to save the screenshot. You can also say “Xbox Take a Screenshot” to take and save a screenshot.
- Currently supported: Setting screenshots as backgrounds. Go to Settings > My Xbox > My Background, then select Screenshot.
- NOTE: Functionality is limited in this initial March update. More functionality will be added in coming preview updates. See the March update preview post for details.
- Suggested friends: Added a Suggested Friend area to the Friends app which will help you find and add friends.
- Sharing your name: There are two new options to share your real name:
- With all of your friends
- With everyone in the Xbox Live community
- Adjustable tile transparency: There is now a setting to enable you to vary the level of transparency for your background images. Go to Settings > My Xbox >Tile transparency. The options are:
- Mostly Solid
- Partly Transparent
- Mostly Transparent
- Voice search data privacy and safety setting: Added a new setting for sharing voice search data to create an option for users to allow collection and analysis of voice data when they use Xbox – Bing to search. Go to Settings > Privacy & online safety > Share voice search data to change the setting.
- Xbox One Digital TV Tuner in Australia: Xbox One owners in Australia with an Xbox Digital TV Tuner can now use it with this release.
- Some users may not see any suggested friends. The team is aware and working on a fix.
- No sharing ability with screenshots. In this initial update, screenshot sharing functionality is not available. More sharing options will be introduced in subsequent March preview updates.
Now, if you don’t mind excusing me, I’m gonna take a few minutes to do a small victory ballet. In the meanwhile, I leave you with Larry and his video.