Another Kickstarter success story is nearing release: Hollow Knight is a metroidvania action game with traditional 2D animation and it’s coming out on Steam on February 24th. The devs at Team Cherry unleashed an impressive looking trailer to celebrate this countdown to launch.
The game takes place underneath the town of Dirtmouth, where the remnants of an ancient insect kingdom sits, waiting for adventurers to seek fame and fortune. The masked hero begins their descent into the unknown coming across new powers, charms, friends, enemies, bosses, and secrets to place on their rather large map.
Hollow Knight will give players the chance to:
- Explore a vast interconnected world of forgotten highways, overgrown wilds and ruined cities.
- Forge your own path! The world of Hallownest is expansive and open. Choose which paths you take, which enemies you face and find your own way forward.
- Evolve with powerful new skills and abilities! Gain spells, strength and speed. Leap to new heights on ethereal wings. Dash forward in a blazing flash. Blast foes with fiery Soul!
- Equip Charms! Ancient relics that offer bizarre new powers and abilities. Choose your favourites and make your journey unique!
- An enormous cast of cute and creepy characters all brought to life with traditional 2D frame-by-frame animation.
- Over 130 enemies! 30 epic bosses! Face ferocious beasts and vanquish ancient knights on your quest through the kingdom. Track down every last twisted foe and add them to your Hunter’s Journal!
- Leap into minds with the Dream Nail. Uncover a whole other side to the characters you meet and the enemies you face.
- Beautiful painted landscapes, with extravagant parallax, give a unique sense of depth to a side-on world.
- Chart your journey with extensive mapping tools. Buy compasses, quills, maps and pins to enhance your understanding of Hollow Knight’s many twisting landscapes.
- A haunting, intimate score accompanies the player on their journey, composed by Christopher Larkin. The score echoes the majesty and sadness of a civilisation brought to ruin.
- Complete Hollow Knight to unlock Steel Soul Mode, the ultimate challenge!
All of this makes this title sound densely packed and lengthy, which sounds perfect for a metroidvania game. Even if a lot of indie games are that genre these days, it’s hard not to fall in love with the liquid smooth animations and the gorgeous looking visuals.
Hollow Knight can be preordered from the Humble Store for both PC and Mac for $14.99 USD. In the meantime, feel free to gawk at the launch trailer: