Horizon: Zero Dawn Is “By Far” The Biggest Game Ever Made by Guerrilla; Devs Talk Tech, RPG Elements and More
Yesterday we saw the stunning reveal of Guerrilla Games’ new IP Horizon: Zero Dawn, and today Managing Director Hermen Hulst and Game Director Mathijs de Jonge talked more in depth about the game during a livestream from E3.
Here are a few interesting points they made:
- Guerrilla Games worked on the game for four and a half year. After Killzone 3 twenty developers starting to work on it. They created concepts and prototypes. After Shadow Fall was shipped, the “big team” joined, and after a year and a half they are at the stage we saw yesterday.
- This is “by far” the biggest game Guerrilla has ever made.
- The game is set a thousand years after the apocalypse.
- Eloy, the main character is a machine hunter, she’s about twenty year-old and she’s one of the best hunters of her tribe.
- There’s a lot of strategy involved in finding out how to defeat the machines.
- Defeating the machines lets you gather resources to craft new weapons, ammo and tools.
- The game is a seamless open world, there are a large variety of machines, from small like the Watchers to enormous like the Longnecks.
- The demo is running on PS4, and is pre-alpha.
- Guerrilla games always tries to make benchmark games for visuals on PlayStation platforms, but they don’t want to go backwards just because it’s open world, they want to improve graphics. A game like this is much tougher in memory and GPU, so they have been pushing the technical artists to the max.
- Having made an engine for Killzone: Shadow Fall was good for this game too. Prototypes used even Killzone 3 assets. After shipping Shadow Fall, the studio had its own PS4 engine, and a very mature one at that, but then had to implement streaming, and it took a lot of effort to set that up properly, especially with this amount of detail and content. Yet, now the game is running, and the studio wants to build it further up.
- The game’s RPG elements include hunting the machines for resources (beginning with smaller ones to then be able to fighting bigger ones). Crafting is a key component of the game. The game has also “a lot” of quests.
- The game is “a new horizon” for Guerrilla Games, and they hope to build it in “a fantastic franchise.” What we’re seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s “so much more stuff” Guerrilla is going to reveal in time, and they’re really looking forward to show more.
I don’t know about you, but I’m dying to see more. This game is everything I imagined from the leaks and rumors, and much more.